Seal and Shift Problems

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by rfellows, Nov 16, 2011.

1. rfellows

rfellows New Member

I have a 2005 RK and noticed oil accumulating at the bottom of the junction of the inner and outer primary covers. At first glance I thought the primary oil was leaking. I pulled the inspection cover and that was not the case. Upon further inspection, I see that the leak is behind the inner primary, namely the transmission. It appears that the shift shaft seal is leaking. I the transmission was 8 oz low. I have done a bunch of research, and I am going to attempt to replace the seal myself. The question is the other day I was coming up to a red light. I was doing about 40 when I pulled in the clutch and shifted to neutral. The light turned green, I pulled the clutch and went to shift into second. The bike would not shift to second. I tried again, and again but nothing. The clutch was all the way to the grip. I had to stomp it to get it to shift to second. That is what made me start looking. I refilled the tranny, changed the primary and engine oil. Took her for a ride last night and had the same problem, except I didn't stomp on her to get her into second. I just kept slowing down until it shifted like it should. So, is this a transmission problem, or am I going to fast to shift back into second?????

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Transmission needs to be loaded while moving. Going into nuetral while coasting up to a stop is a bad pratice for a couple of reasons.
    1) If acceleration needed to get out of trouble you can not.
    2) Trying to engage a transmission while moving at speed from nuetral would be nearly impossible. The faster the coast the harder it will be to engage.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011