free website stats program Screwless primary cover removal? | Harley Davidson Forums

Screwless primary cover removal?

cdn-bigfoot

I have an aftermarket Chrome and black finned Primary cover on my Dyna. I did not install this part and am not in contact with the person who did.
Does anyone who has this kind of cover know how to remove it?

How do I remove it to change the primary lubricant and inspect the chain tension. I really don't think I should have to remove the entire side of the primary.

PrimaryWS.jpg

primarycoverCU.jpg

That looks like a Mirage derby cover. Custom chrome makes them, you may try contacting them for the release of the cover. There's got to be a set screw or something similar that would release it to get to the hidden mounting plate. Look between the fins in the forward part.

It's a 2 part cover.The top cover unscrews revealing a 5 hole cover underneath.Just wash your hands and unscrew it.If you have problems getting traction a pair of rubber gloves will help.Oh yeah mark the bottom cover so you can put it back on the way it came off or the top cover may not align properly.

Edit:That's a picture of an '07 and later primary.Checking the primary chain is no longer necessary as it has an auto tensioner.

Last edited:
It's a 2 part cover.The top cover unscrews revealing a 5 hole cover underneath.Just wash your hands and unscrew it.If you have problems getting traction a pair of rubber gloves will help.Oh yeah mark the bottom cover so you can put it back on the way it came off or the top cover may not align properly.

Edit:That's a picture of an '07 and later primary.Checking the primary chain is no longer necessary as it has an auto tensioner.

Thanks.
With help from another forum I found 2 mounting screws hiding in the front of the fins.
The center piece then just falls off. The trim ring then snaps off like a hubcap. The inner cover has 5 screws.
primarycoverexplained.jpg

It's actually a 2006 primary on my 2006 Street Bob.
Chain tensioner?

Last edited:
Yeah the Dynas got the auto tensioner in '06.The rest of the big twins got it in '07.And they changed the cover,hmmmmmm wonder when they did that?

Back