free website stats program Screaming Eagle Road King died, now won't start. | Harley Davidson Forums

Screaming Eagle Road King died, now won't start.

A buddy called to pick him up out on the highway, he said it just died on him and now it won't start.
First, the only thing he had done to the bike was to take the gas tank off to repair some dents and re-lined it.
What I have checked is, it has set no codes, it has spark, checked with the plug lights that plug into the plugs and wires (not sure if they work properly with fuel injected models) and fuel pump is working. Everything seem normal, I hooked it up with my twinscan and you can see the injectors firing.
I can hear the pump run on initial power, so with the key on and the run switch on, I unplugged the quick connect and a little fuel dribbled out. My son thought it there should be enough pressure that it should spray out a little when unhooking it with power to pump.
The only thing my buddy said was he re-used a clamp inside the tank to attach hose to tank side of quick fitting and possibly the hose came off in the tank. If this hose came off, wouldn't the pump keep running because it isn't building pressure?
Any thoughts on what else to check would be greatly appreciated.

The first time I undid the fuel line on my '07, I forgot (didn't know) to remove the fuse to depressure the line. It was VERY hard to slip the collar up, then I got a facefull of gas when I did. I don't know how much pressure the pump requires to stop initializing, but it doesn't sound like there's much there. Wishing you luck.

The first time I undid the fuel line on my '07, I forgot (didn't know) to remove the fuse to depressure the line. It was VERY hard to slip the collar up, then I got a facefull of gas when I did. I don't know how much pressure the pump requires to stop initializing, but it doesn't sound like there's much there. Wishing you luck.

That confirms what my son said, he said if it had set awhile, the pressure would bleed off, but with power to the pump, there should be around 60 psi on that fitting.

Thanks for your reply.

As Breeze said, 50 PSI fuel line pressure would be quite a spray & dangerous...make sure when working with EFI you pull the fuel pump fuse and run the engine till it sputters to a stop. I think you found the problem.

Back