samson ovals

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Trek, May 30, 2009.

1. Trek

Trek Junior Member

Hey everyone,

I'm still undecided about what exhaust to go to when I get my bike (2010 ultra) this fall or next spring. My buddy has an 02 ultra with samson ovals and I really like the deep throaty rumble to them. Question... he said when he installed them that he could look right through them, does that mean there is not a baffle in them? From what I have read these bikes need a baffle for back pressure and all around better performance. What size baffle should the pipes have?
    Thanks for the help.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you can look right through them, it's a perforated core to deaden the sound with little restriction for the backpressure needed to run properly. Baffles in the area of 1 3/4" would be the best size.

3. Trek

Trek Junior Member

Thanks Glider,

I was afraid you were going to say that. My next set I'm looking at are the V&H monster ovals but I would really like to hear them in real life, I guess I'll just to have to keep an eye out for someone with them on.

4. Trek

Trek Junior Member

Thanks for all the input. Hobbit are the V&H monsters much louder than the stock? I'm really not looking for outrageous loud, I do want to be able to hear the tunes but want that deep throaty rumble. One more question, while trying to figure out the pipes should I get the TFI and put it on even while it's stock?

5. Trek

Trek Junior Member

Thanks again. I have listened to that clip a few times I know how sometimes the sound doesn't come across on the computer quite like in person. If that is pretty close to the actual sound I like it.

6. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Hobbit,I changed out to the slash cut slip-ons they give you a nice HD sound,but aren't loud enough to drown out the radio,and you can still talk to your passenger:D

http/www.harley-davidson.com/media/images/productphotos/PNA/80491_07_M_22e28.jpg

Screamin' Eagle® Street Performance Slip-On Mufflers - One Piece - Slash Down

Street Performance Touring Mufflers combine aggressive sound quality with aggressive performance results. High flow internal design produces performance you can feel, comparable to Screamin' Eagle® II race-use mufflers. Street legal, these chrome-plated mufflers feature a new ballisticshape inlet and a deep embossed "Screamin' Eagle®" signature script. Street legal on stock displacement engines. Patent Pending.