free website stats program Saddlebag lid not staying closed. | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebag lid not staying closed.

jaceddie

I've been having a problem with one of my saddlebag lids not staying closed. I can't find anyway to adjust or change anything to make it work right. It's on a 09 UC. One thing I've noticed is when the bag is full and pushing the sides out somewhat, it works fine. Since I don't want to always have the bag full or keep it locked, I would like to find another solution.

I think they are prone to open up, when they are brand new they stay closed but after awhile they start to pop open especially when hitting bumps, my 09 just started popping up after 20k miles, I have become used to reaching back to check after hitting a bump or two....

From a safety point of view I lock my bags all the time loaded or unloaded. If locked then they will not pop open. Might try getting into that habit and include the tour pack. Also try lubing latch and hinges to free up and ease operation.

I've been having a problem with one of my saddlebag lids not staying closed. I can't find anyway to adjust or change anything to make it work right. It's on a 09 UC. One thing I've noticed is when the bag is full and pushing the sides out somewhat, it works fine. Since I don't want to always have the bag full or keep it locked, I would like to find another solution.

There is an internal spring in the latch. I had to replace one of mine. Pain in the rear to do it but not that hard. It is covered in the service manual.

Lancer is right about the spring, cost about $3. from dealer. Easy enough to do. Once you have changed the first one the second is easy.
kemo

More than likely, like others have mentioned the spring in the hinge has rusted and broken. Easy fix. The dealers sell lots of these, about $2.50 each.

I had one popping open with ease to.
I bent the latch in the back just a hair.
Works fine now, but i agree with DBMG, Locking is a great habit to start :s

From a safety point of view I lock my bags all the time loaded or unloaded. If locked then they will not pop open. Might try getting into that habit and include the tour pack. Also try lubing latch and hinges to free up and ease operation.

+1, I keep mine locked all the time.

mine did the same thing. took it to the HD dealer and they adjusted it. they will show you how to adjust it incase it does it again.

Back