free website stats program Rust-help!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Rust-help!!!

ksboy

Account Removed
About three weeks ago I bought some Turtle Wax brand chrome polish-first time I have ever used it. I just looked at my rims and there is new rust everywhere. I was floored. What happened? Should I have wiped it with something afterwards? I know glider-Pledge, right? Seriously though, should I have?
I spent a long time hitting my rim, so this is discouraging.
I got most of it off, but need to hit it again when I have more beer and energy.
I've used naval jelly in the past with no problems like this.

What are the makeup of the rims.Steel spoke/Chrome spoke/Aluminum?There are many different cleaning agents for different metals.Sometimes using the wrong product can do more harm than good.The heat and humidity this time of year can magnify what may be a relatively small problem.

Chrome polish should only be used if needed to remove surface rust followed by a coat of decent wax. I use pledge but the liquid turtle wax in the green bottle will give you better protection on the chrome. The chrome polish strips everything off the rim and link said above shouldn't be used for cleaning unless there is surface rust to be removed. Chrome is only a few mills thick and can be damaged with an abrasive real easily.

Last edited:
If the rims are not too dirty then i use neverdull , cleans nice but has not much protection , lasts about a week , but easy to use , i use it and follow it with a polish
with more protection , flitz chrome polish is nice and not abrasive , hard to find though

Thanks for the info guys. The wheels are chrome, but I suspect the spokes are different. Maybe stainless? I assumed the polish would shine and protect. It was almost like it accelerated the rust. Most of it was in one area and as I am typing this I wonder if my dog didn't whiz on them. Oh man, if he starts doing that we might have a problem.
At any rate, I will put something on after I get the rest of the rust off. Thanks again.

A lot of people do not realize, but if you have steel contacting aluminum, a little moisture added to the mix creates a battery and the transfer of metal is seen as corrosion or RUST as oxygen and water becomes a great slurry for rust.

As Glider and others have said, if you use a cleaner to get the rust off, you must dry it completely and wax coating or similar to "seal" out the water is your only alternative. Strong cleaners may be too aggressive and rubbing with abrasive compound puts microscratches that will invite moisture under the chrome.

Thanks for the info guys. The wheels are chrome, but I suspect the spokes are different. Maybe stainless? I assumed the polish would shine and protect. It was almost like it accelerated the rust. Most of it was in one area and as I am typing this I wonder if my dog didn't whiz on them. Oh man, if he starts doing that we might have a problem.
At any rate, I will put something on after I get the rest of the rust off. Thanks again.
I have chrome spoked wheels as well , they are 100 spoke american wire , i found an eagle one chrome spoke wheel cleaner and wow what a job cleaning , follow the instructions carefully it is a two part job, takes around 5 minutes and they glea like new , to think i had the tooth brush out there for hours before. The spokes are stainless to my nearest guess.

I wash my bike with Armorall Car wash which has a wax in it. I have no rust on my bike, not even the zinc bolts. I believe the wash helps based on the fact that my neighbors bike has rust everywhere. Bike is same age and we pretty much ride together and have similar miles. Both kept in garages. Only difference is his rarely gets washed and when it does it gets washed with another brand of car wash.

Back