Running on Batteries

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by popeye1, Nov 8, 2011.

1. popeye1

popeye1 Member

Hello everyone,Im a new member and what a great site this is.Here is my problem. Recently got my bike back from the dealership(2001 softail custom)had battery replaced and some service work done.Went on three rides and on the third one was cruising down the freeway and lost all power.So the first thing I checked was the battery and was completely dead,wouldnt take a charge so Im thinking I just got a defective battery go back to dealership they give me a new one and after about three rides it does the same thing.So I have a new stator and voltage regulator put in along with another new battery and after about three rides guess what,it does it again.Please Help!

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Harley Davidson Community Have a read here first, make sure your battery is fully charged @ 12.75 volts before the test

3. lordharold

lordharold Active Member

maybe check to see if regulator is fully plugged into stator and is making good contact

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Do the stuff in the link Captain Jack sent you. That will pin point where your charging system is failing. New battery, stator, VR - that is the whole charging system except for the rotor!! So something is not right. BTW, did you get back your old parts from who ever replaced all that stuff?

TQ