free website stats program Running on 1 cylinder & gas in oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Running on 1 cylinder & gas in oil?

79mr79

95 softail- Bike sat in garage all winter. Noticed a black puddle on floor. Didn't think much of it. Looking back on it, puddle seemed thin because it ran across floor. I think I left the gas on. Anyway I started the bike last night and it is only running on the rear cylinder. Pulled the plugs, front is clean and gas fould. Rear has some black carbon and a little wet, I think the rear is o.k. Both are getting spark. Done a compression test, front is 120 rear is 150. Added a little oil to the front it went up to 130. Oil bag is pretty full and smells like gas. Please help.

Best thing you can do is drop the oil and filter and replace them. After that put in a new set of plugs and see what you have then. Check the compression again after you get it to run first.

Crank the engine over with the plugs out to rid any excess fuel from the cylinders before you try to run it.

Will it be fine to just drain the oil bag? What about the oil in the engine? Is this problem caused by leaving the fuel on? Whats worst case senerio?

You really should do the filter too, not just the oil tank. If you have fuel in the oil system it's not good for the engine and can cause premature damage.

Like Smitty and Glider said, Change the oil, filter and I would change the plugs. Lady luck is with you, good luck

Don't forget to fix the reason why you have liquid gas in the combustion chamber and crankcase...leaky fuel valve AND debris/varnish holding open the needle/seat so gas can "sneak" past and get by the valves and rings, fouling up the works. Clean up the symptoms, but do fix the root cause once you get the bike running, best to start off with properly working bike before doing the carb cleanup (draining the float bowl, smelling and inspecting for old varnish smell and debris) in the carb...a tell tale sign of what to do next...and how far you need to go, by checking out the Self Help Tips on carbs/jetting etc.:s

shouldnt have any oil in the engine as the oil is stored in the oil tank and pumped to the engine than returned to the oil tank if it sat all winter as glyder said replace the filter and change the oil . While your at I would change the oil in the tranny and the primary also it wouldnt hurt to run some seafoam through the fuel system to get rid of any varnish witch may be what started your problem good luck

Sounds like your float needle is bad in the carb,your check valve is probably bad, letting both oil and gas mix in the cases. Not only do you need to change oil and filter, your going to need to do it a second time after it is ran. Also if your compression test showed 30 psi difference that means top end time. But check it again after you get the other stuff worked out. good luck

Went to a local shop today bought oil, filter, sparkplugs. Told the guy what happened, he gave me something I cant remember the name of for the carb. Maybe a valve seat? it has a small metal clip or wire at one end. Changed the oil and took off the carb tonight. Thanks guys & wish me luck!

Back