free website stats program Rough Shocks? +other questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Rough Shocks? +other questions

Drew

I am a new rider (should be at 1,000 miles by the end of the week!!!) and I've noticed that while my '08 xl883c is solid as a tank, it seems a bit rough/jarring going over bumps, etc. I have been very happy with the stability of the bike when encountering these road imperfections, but it seems like the shocks are kind of stiff. However, given this is my first bike, I have nothing to compare to, so I'm not sure if this is normal.

Is this something that is "common knowledge" re: sporties (or new bikes in general) and should be replaced (i.e. rear suspension)? When I take the bike in for the 1,000 mile service, I am also going to buy a new seat (any suggestions?... I need comfort, and maybe something that will push me back a little bit. I feel a bit scrunched up as it is now), new headlight (for more visibility for me, as well as oncoming traffic), possibly new mirrors, with turn signal indicators, detachable wind shield, and possibly upgrade the suspension.

At this point, I just want stuff that will make the ride more comfortable and safer, as opposed to anything aesthetic. Any other suggestions? The bike is 100% stock right now.

Thanks a bunch for the input
Drew

Last edited:
I ride an 08 XL883 and I agree, the shocks are garbage. As far as the seat, I upgraded to a Mustang wide solo seat and I couldn't be happier. I think it beats anything you can get straight from Harley.

I have looked into upgrading to progressive shocks in the rear, and it's pricey. But if you have the scratch, go for it.

which model Progressive shock should I consider? I don't mind paying up for quality, but I don't want to do so unnecessarily if the incremental benefit of the more/most expensive shocks is minimal.

thanks
Drew

which model Progressive shock should I consider? I don't mind paying up for quality, but I don't want to do so unnecessarily if the incremental benefit of the more/most expensive shocks is minimal.

thanks
Drew

I'm old and I forget a lot of things but I'm pretty sure I got the 412's.

Hey, I have a Sporty, and I love it, but it is not going to ride like an Ultra. A soft tail has the joint in the suspension and the Sporty does not. I put on a Mustang seat with a fold down backrest and another seat for rider. Cost was about $900, but much better than riding the "log" that is the stock seat. You can also adjust the shocks. Try that first!

Back