Roller Rockers/tappets/pushrods

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Fischermp, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Fischermp

Fischermp New Member

I am in the process of trying to quite down engine ticking noise. I am replacing the tappets, but since I have the rocker covers off I am considering installing S&S roller rockers. Their web site says I would have to also go with adjustable pushrods for that application. Does anyone know if I can use my current pushrods with S&S roller rockers? Any suggestions on tappets? I am looking at the S&S Premium High Performance tappet set w/o the spacer..
    My bike is a 2006 Streetglide, Stage 5 103ci w/stroker kit. SE 260 cams. SE perfect fit pushrods +.030, stock tappets and rocker arms (the tips of the rocker arms look worn down). Thanks in advance for any tips or comments.

2. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

The S&S Premium lifters are as good as any for hi-lift cams. However, roller rockers will not reduce valve train noise; they make more noise than OEM rockers. You can run the OEM rockers with no issues up to .610" lift; some say to .625". I know most will tell you that if lift is .600" or more, you NEED roller rockers; not true. I run .600" lift cams on OEM rockers and have run them on SE roller rockers as well; the OEM rockers are quieter.

I don't know the base circle of the SE260 cams but before you spend the money on adjustable pushrods, you should calculate the valve train stack up height to see the +30 pushrods set lifter preload at more than .125"; if so, you don't need the adjustable pushrods. Say the base circle of the 260 cams is .020" smaller than the OEM cam base circle; that adds .010" to the valve train stack up height assuming the head gasket is stock thickness. The +.030" pushrods will set preload at +.020" deeper than the OEM pushrods (.030"-.010") at about .120"; should be enough. Now, take the same situation but the head gasket is .030" thick; that shortens the stack up height by .015" (.045"-.030"). So now with the +.030" pushrods, lifter preload is .135" (.030" + .015" - .010"), still OK.

You should also consider the a billet rocker support plate, regardless of which rocker you decide to run; less flex, less noise. I would also suggest installing a set of "rocker lockers", cheap and they keep the rocker shaft from moving in the support plate which is a common source of noise in the Harley valve train.

http://rockerlockers.com/

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

What Dolt said. FWIW, it may be beneficial to try the rocker lockers first. It may save you a small boat load of money and time....

4. Fischermp

Fischermp New Member

Thanks Bodeen and dolt for the input and education. Since I have the front cylinder apart I am going try the rocker lockers and replace the tappets. Thanks

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Some days my back cylinder ticks some days not

6. coopernicus

coopernicus Junior Member Contributor

Rocker Lockers didn't quiet mine down a bit.......Red Line Oil did!!

D.Bradfield likes this.