free website stats program Roller Chain Conversion | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Roller Chain Conversion

If converting to the hydraulic chain tensioners is it necessary to replace the cams as well? Can the stock cams be used in the new cam support plate?

No, you have to use the Andrews N style cams or sinilar cam. The new style cam support plate doesn't use a bearing, so they have a larger bore for the cam ends. Andrews has made the cams to work with the new stlye support plat and the the TC88 engine.
Ken

No, you have to use the Andrews N style cams or sinilar cam. The new style cam support plate doesn't use a bearing, so they have a larger bore for the cam ends. Andrews has made the cams to work with the new stlye support plat and the the TC88 engine.
Ken

The Andrews support plate doesn't use bearings for the cams, but the Screaming Eagle plate does. Thats the one I recently put in my bike and I just had the dealer press the bearings and cams into the new plate for $40. Not too bad. If someone is looking to do this job, make sure you get the support plate that will fit your cams, or new cams that will work with whatever support plate you use. I'm not sure if Andrews cams are interchangeable with the SE plate, or vice versa. But to be safe, Andrews plate.... use Andrews cams. SE plate..... use SE cams. Good luck.

Just to make sure I am understanding this right. If I use the screaming plate I can use the stock cams? I only want to upgrade for the cam chain tensioners. I am not interested in improving the performance. Glazier you mentioned that with the se plate I need se cams. Can't I just use the stock cams? Trying to keep the costs down.

Just to make sure I am understanding this right. If I use the screaming plate I can use the stock cams? I only want to upgrade for the cam chain tensioners. I am not interested in improving the performance. Glazier you mentioned that with the se plate I need se cams. Can't I just use the stock cams? Trying to keep the costs down.

You can use your stock cams with the SE plate. You'll need the old ones pressed out and new bearings/cams pressed into the new plate. I could have re-used my cams, but as long as they were out, I went with new cams for a little more ummph. You'll also need a gasket kit ($110) that has the new bearings/gaskets, and a spacer kit ($20) for the new cam sprocket. You might need a sprocket locking tool ($35), but I made my own out of a piece of aluminum. Consider changing the INA inner bearings to Torringtons. They were only $15 for both, but the tools weren't cheap. I'll sell you mine. Only used once. Harley wants $130 for the remover and $170 for the installer. I bought both as a kit on Ebay for $120. You'll also either have to buy new adjustable pushrods ($170), or remove the rocker boxes and take the old ones out from the top. I cut the old ones out with bolt cutters and put in the new tapered adjustable ones. Hope this helps. Just letting you know that there's a lot more $$$$$ involved other than just buying the new support plate. I got my support plate as a kit on Ebay and that also included the new roller chains/sprockets (which I can't use on my 2000 model) and a new high volume oil pump. Oh yeah, you'll need two aligning posts for that too. They're cheap though. Good luck :newsmile093:

Just be aware that the SE cam support plate option will reuse your existing cams and silent chain for the secondary cam chain, but will have the new hydraulic tensioner. If you want to go to full roller chain upgrade, you will need to go the Andrews route with new "N" cams and roller chain, which is what I am currently installing on my 2006 CVO Ultra. Parts all over the garage. :laugh

Just be aware that the SE cam support plate option will reuse your existing cams and silent chain for the secondary cam chain, but will have the new hydraulic tensioner. :laugh

The SE kit I bought had both cam chains (outer and inner) and a new sprocket. I can't use them on my bike because of the cam position sensor. New cams are optional. I've still got the new roller chains and sprocket if anyone wants to buy them cheap :newsmile093:

I've been thinking about this project for awhile and have done some homework. I pulled off my cam cover last week and looked at the outer tensioner which was already about half gone at only 20,000 miles. The inner one looked good but was hard to tell without taking it apart. I'm still not sure whether I want to simply replace with the old style spring tensioners (cheap) or upgrade to hydraulic (expensive). Regardless of which one I do I will still need a cam service kit with all the gaskets. I also plan on replacing the inner bearings, so Glazier if that inner bearing remover/installer is still available I am interested. I already have all the other tools I need including the oil pump pins, and cam locking tool.

I know the screamin plate is only the beginning of the cost. I figure if I upgrade I'm looking at $500-600 with the cost of gaskets and spacer kit. However, I plan on removing the rocker boxes to remove the standard pushrods so I dont have to buy adjustables. I've done rocker boxes before and it's not that hard.

Back