Rocker Housing Gasket

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Michael15956, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Michael15956

Michael15956 Member

Notice a small oil leak on my front cylinder of a 2002 Electra Glide. I plan on replacing the housing gasket. Will the rocker assembly come out in one piece. Also, what do I have to watch for when changing the gasket?

TIA

2. jdaws

jdaws Active Member

You should invest in a service manual if you want to do your own work. It will come in handy for any servcie or repair work you need to do.:s

3. rick1062

rick1062 Active Member

jdaws is right. The service manual will really help guide you and save you from making some mistakes.

4. Michael15956

Michael15956 Member

Thanks, I have a service manual. It is unclear in how the rocker assembly is removed. Just wondering if this assembly come out in one piece.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Change them both as `long as you are there follow the manual great info there, sequence in removing and installing the fasteners and the torque will save you from doing it twice, Good luck

6. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Hmmm. Really? An HD Factory Service Manual?

My manual ('03 UC) covers TOP END OVERHAUL as section 3.9 in the ENGINE section (3). Follow steps 1-9 to disassemble to the point of removing the rocker boxes, and then jump over to section 3.11 SUBASSEMBLY SERVICE AND REPAIR for any details on the breather assy and pushrod covers if necessary. You may want to consider adjustable pushrods for the work you may do in the future, but since you are pulling the rocker boxes, this is not required.

On assembly, pick up with step #20 on.

TQ