Road King Rear Tire question

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by BF06FLHTCUI, May 7, 2012.

BF06FLHTCUI Member

So, I'm coming due for a new rear tire, probably in the next 3 weeks when the the bike comes due for inspection at the end of the month. its not smooth at the wear band yet, but I can almost garuntee that the inspector will fail it on general principles. I figure I'll order a tire now and have it on hand if they fail it, or stash it for a few months for later installation.
    Heres the question: The stock, as we all know, is the Dunlop D402 MU85B16. As far as I can tell, that is the ONLY tire that size made (150/85/R16?). Am I asking for trouble by ordering a 150/80 or 150/90? My research has found more than a few tires in those sizes that cost half as much.
  2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I cant remember the exact size but, I have the next size larger Avon Venom on my '03 RK. It s a tight fit but it works good enough to have worn out two of them. I'll post up the size this evening when I get home.
  3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

The difference you are talking about is aspect ratio, the difference in height of the tire compared to width. 80/85/90 will interchange. You just can't go much wider because of belt and guard clearance. I just put a MU90 on my FLHTC with no problems. Just off the top of my head, I think MT=130, MU=140 width.
  4. softail41

softail41 Active Member

Inspector? If you don't mind me asking, who or what are you refering to?

BF06FLHTCUI Member

Sorry about delayed reply, work got crazy and I have a 6 week old at home.
    Inspector = vehicle safety inspector. I live in a nanny state, where you have to get your vehicles checked once per year to make sure they are "safe to operate". I, for one, know its a scam for service shops to make money. they will fail u for tiny, nit-picky, or imaginary things then charge you a mountain on money to fix it, particularly brakes and tires. My mother in laws car once failed for brakes...that i had personally replaced 2 weeks prior. she promptly went to the manager stood there while the manager personally put it on the lift, checked them, and pronounced them fine. the inspector still has a job at that shop, so he must be pretty good at suckering people into repairs they dont need.