free website stats program Road King or Fat Boy? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King or Fat Boy?

Thanks again all. What's the feel of a softail ride like?

Asking this on a forum is fine but it's still rather subjective. If all you've ever ridden is an old hard tail, I'm sure a softail feels absolutely luxurious. Read everyone's input but get out there and demo them for yourself before spending big bucks on a bike.

agreed its a stiffer ride lol but not a bad one . another big difference is the pivot point in the tree, the forks are further back on a rk allowing it turn lighter at low speed. or somethn like that lol the steering geometry is different. oh and more stopping power with dual discs.
like they say you have to ride both and decide wich one is the right one for you . always a tough choice though lol and never wrong one ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it is a personnel choice after all things weigh in speaking of weighing in the average weight of a RK is 765 lbs and the average weight of a Fat Boy is 669 lbs, that maybe something to keep in mind as well if you do alot of stopping and riding around short trips maybe the lighter bike would be abetter choice If you do a long hual then maybe the RK would be. Me I ride a softy and I love it but I have also riden a RK and a ultra all are great bikes. I regularly take long trips on mine and have never had any issues with riding a brick with wheels.

Softtail is actually an anagram of sorts of HD suspension evolution...i.e. soft..."er"...tail" as compared to "hardtail" i.e. suspension-less...in a traditional sense as early motorcycles had none. The softail today was designed to give the look of a hardtail, without the spine tingling "crunch" when hitting bumps. The shocks are hidden under the swingarm anchored near the pivot and actuated horizontal. But where it is located theres little horizontal room and how linkage is actuated shock even shorter, tougher to tune and find.

Traditional shocks just are easier to adjust by their placement up high, more options in the aftermarket, but either way, HD has had plenty of time to work out the basic nits, the softail is still going to be harder to adjust and tune right. The look though sure looks clean and from a minimalist Sporty rider, mighty fine here! And yes I still ride my "hardtail" mountain bike in the rough...cause I am standing on the pedals most of the time. :D

Last edited:
Thanks again all. What's the feel of a softail ride like?

Soft, as in Softail is a relative term. I had a Heritage and the ride was softer than a rigid, or my old Iron Head Sportster.

There is no comparison to the ride of the touring chassis bikes. My Road Glide is a dreamboat compared to the other bikes I've owned. If you want the look of the "traditional" Harley then by all means take the King, but I would suggest you try one of the fairing equipped bikes, especially if you want to rack up the miles in comfort.

So I rode the RK today. Real nice ride, surprisingly light handling. Couldn't get used to the heel/toe shifting so I just toe shifted like I normally do. Rode country roads and cruised at 75 on the interstate for a bit. Even did a bit of rain riding. Now I have to decide if I want to keep or sell my KTM!!!

So I rode the RK today. Real nice ride, surprisingly light handling. Couldn't get used to the heel/toe shifting so I just toe shifted like I normally do. Rode country roads and cruised at 75 on the interstate for a bit. Even did a bit of rain riding. Now I have to decide if I want to keep or sell my KTM!!!

Everyone feels that way at first and then it becomes second nature. If you prefer, you can easily remove the heel shifter.

unless you do some mods to seat and or suspension, go with the heritage....i too was at the same crossroads last winter, i am 5'9" and was not flatfooted on the rk.
good luck

Everyone feels that way at first and then it becomes second nature. If you prefer, you can easily remove the heel shifter.
Or you can pop for the "forward" floorboards which move them 3/4" forward, then the board is almost perfectly centered between the shifters and you can lower the rear a notch. I can't remember when the last time I lifted up with my toes.

Back