free website stats program Road King Hard to Start When Hot | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Hard to Start When Hot

cuffnum

I have a 2008 road king with a screaming eagle stage 1 intake, vance and hines tru duals and a stage 1 fuel injection map from harley. Lately it does not like to start when hot. It tuurn over pretty good for a few seconds and then the starter make an horrible noise and that sounds a little like its grinding and disengaging. I can hear the fuel pump kick on but it still acts like its not getting gas. As best I can tell from what I have read the starter clutch is done and I may also have either a regulator and/or fuel pump issue. I would hate to justy start buying parts.

THESE bikes have a NON replaceable BY STOCK compensators...

My 09 had the same problem and believe me IT WAS THE Original compensator going Bad...

HD used a SE "A" to replace it. Completely Different. Now they have EVEN a better one that you Glue In a drip tray into the inner front top of the Primary when Off to replace the comp. IT allows oil to get INTO the New Compensator. I Would Use the New Version. and CHECK the ball bearing that goes onto the clutch shaft directly in the rear of the inner primary cover. Many over look this.

My bearing looked like a golf ball with all the little dents on it.

Let us know what you find. I'm 99% sure it is the compensator NOT the starter or the fuel.

Cold,,,,,,IT starts up ....Right... YEP,,,,,Old Style Compensator.:s GRIND and BUCKS when Hot... No Easy start.

TRY this: when Hot and you go to start, Hit the starter button AT THE SAME TIME you turn on at the handle-bar off TO on switch....(Don't Wait for the light to go out......Immediately hit the start button) it may Kick off easier UNTIL you get it fixed...

signed....BUBBIE

THESE bikes have a NON replaceable BY STOCK compensators...

My 09 had the same problem and believe me IT WAS THE Original compensator going Bad...

HD used a SE "A" to replace it. Completely Different. Now they have EVEN a better one that you Glue In a drip tray into the inner front top of the Primary when Off to replace the comp. IT allows oil to get INTO the New Compensator. I Would Use the New Version. and CHECK the ball bearing that goes onto the clutch shaft directly in the rear of the inner primary cover. Many over look this.

My bearing looked like a golf ball with all the little dents on it.

Let us know what you find. I'm 99% sure it is the compensator NOT the starter or the fuel.

Cold,,,,,,IT starts up ....Right... YEP,,,,,Old Style Compensator.:s GRIND and BUCKS when Hot... No Easy start.

TRY this: when Hot and you go to start, Hit the starter button AT THE SAME TIME you turn on at the handle-bar off TO on switch....(Don't Wait for the light to go out......Immediately hit the start button) it may Kick off easier UNTIL you get it fixed...

signed....BUBBIE

HD08FLHR019.gif
Number 6 in this picture part # 9231 inner primary bearing

Thanks Jack....

You are really getting GOOD at this HELP by posting Pictures and Information about the Problems... I do appreciate it AS Well AS Others DO......:D

You ought to be up for ANOTHER RAISE REAL SOON... caps intended:bigsmiley14:

signed....BUBBIE

Back