free website stats program Road King Classic running on one cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Classic running on one cylinder

paulb5

I have a 2003 Road King Classic. Last Sunday one cylinder quit firing. I had to ride a couple of miles on one to get to a safe place to stop (church parking lot). As soon as I let off the gas the bike quit and wouldn't start again. The bad cylinder was full of gas, it was coming out of the pipe. When I got the bike home I checked the spark and I can't get any spark from either cylinder (wierd). I think it might be a coil or plug wires. It looks fairly easy to replace the coil and wires. should I be concerned about all the gas in the cylinder? Is there any thing I should watch out for when replacing the coil? Could it be anything else besides the coil or wires.

Did you use a spark tester to check for spark or did you pull the plugs? It is recommened to check for spark with both plugs installed as the engine will not produce spark with the plugs removed.

Now would be a good time to check for codes before starting to replace parts as that could get expensive. Also if you do not already have one the Factory Service Manual will be a big help tracking down your problem and money well spent. And yes, you should be concerned with so much fuel in the cylinder that it is coming out of the exhaust.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-728.html

Report back with your findings and you will get plenty of help from other members here and where to look next.

Thanks for the link. I did check the spark with both plugs out. Codes po261, po262 and p1353. This all seems beyond my qualifications. Bike is still on the trailer and I think she is going to the dealer tomorrow. I don't want to do more damage. Thanks for the usefull information.

Sounds like you may have a bad injector or wiring to the injector causing the front cylinder to flood according to the P0261 and P0262 codes. The P1353 code (front cylinder no combustion) may be a symptom of the Injector issue that could possibly clear up when the injector issue is fixed.

I talked to the dealer today. The ECM engine control module is out. They will have to reinstall the updates for my stage 1 (at a price). Service guy said only the second one seen in 4 years.

I talked to the dealer today. The ECM engine control module is out. They will have to reinstall the updates for my stage 1 (at a price) Why does that not surprise me :s. Service guy said only the second one seen in 4 years.

Glad to hear they got it figured out so quickly, hopefully you can resume riding soon enough. Thanks for reporting back what the issue was, you may save someone else a lot of headache and time searching for the fix with the same problem :)

Back