free website stats program Road King buffeting | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King buffeting

DanDolfn

Just got a 2011 Road King. With the Tall Boy seat, I'm looking way over the windshield, so I have a Clearview windshield on order.

In the meantime, I'm getting really hard buffeting. Doesn't seem to be coming from the windshield. When I put my arm across my body in front of my chest, I feel strong wind. It's enough to make my glasses bounce.

I've seen some comments about Kuryakin adjustable lower wind deflectors with the vents and about the chrome triangle strip lowers.

http://www.pulseperformanceonline.com/Kuryakyn-FORK-MOUNTED-VARIABLE-WIND-DEFLECTORS-detail.htm?productId=10849958&ez=Windshields Wind Deflectors~q=fidaa120zztidaa1757zz~r=~

Harley Parts | Aftermarket Harley Davidson Motorcycle and Custom Parts and Accessories | Debrix Cycles - www.debrix.com

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Are there any other alternatives out there? No one makes Lexan lowers?

How low does your current shield come down and what is it's shape at the bottom. You might want to wait and see how the clearshield affects it before you buy bottom end sheilds.

My Rifle shield comes all the way to the bottom tree and then curves inward (toward the engine) . I have about a inch of space above the headlite to let some air in (kinda like the vent theory). And of course I have my height so I can just barely see over the shield in the rain.

I get no noticable buffeting or updraft at all. Depending on how your clearshields work out (and the bottom design thereof ) you may still need to purchase some bottom shields. Some guys have had good luck with them and also the solution that Dolitte said.

If the arm across your chest diminishes the buffeting, the triangle chrome fork deflectors will help, IF you don't mind the look. I have them on mine, and they are very noticeable. Some people really don't like the big things, I don't mind them. The vest also works well, as do soft lowers, which are another thing some think look bad. I'm more for comfort than looks any day.

You might want to wait and see how the clearshield affects it before you buy bottom end sheilds.

That sounds reasonable.

It seems strange, tho, that there isn't more conversation about this. The buffeting on my Road King beats me up pretty good.

And it's not related to type of helmet because I don't wear one.

there is also an air dam that bolts under the trees. some bikes come with them, check, it helps & its cheap @ 15$........bw

'' You might want to wait and see how the clearshield affects it before you buy bottom end sheilds. ''

That sounds reasonable.

It seems strange, tho, that there isn't more conversation about this. The buffeting on my Road King beats me up pretty good.

And it's not related to type of helmet because I don't wear one.

Actually if you do a search there is quite a bit of discussion on buffeting. Most times the correct height of the shield will prevent the most of it. In fact the higher the shield the less buffeting. The reason it's recommended to be able to just see over the shield is . . . . . well if you've ever ridden in a hard rain looking through a shield then you know what that's all about.

I know some folks that will hunker down behind the shield and speed up to 80plus mph and say the wind at that speed will clear all the water right off the shield. But the thunderstorms I run into you could crash blindly just trying to get to 80 mph if you didn't look over the shield.

I think the shape at the bottom (and the top with the clearshields) also can help alleviate buffeting. Also some air flow allowed in around the headlight helps eliminate the vaccum that sucks it up from the bottom.

Most times the correct height of the shield will prevent the most of it.

I sure hope so!

Went out for about 100 miles today with the stock windshield and got beat up again.

Back