free website stats program riding in 40 degree weather, ice building??? | Harley Davidson Forums

riding in 40 degree weather, ice building???

ron1978

i have a 883 , 2000 model
i weight 250 lbs., In hot weather i can run it up to about 85 mph,
now with that said, saturday i went for my first cold ride and it was 40 degrees, i got on interstate and run it wide open and barely got it up to 70 mph.. when i let off of it it kinda spuddered and picked up again,
i pulled clutch in and rev it up to around 4000 and no missing at all, but in the highway ride it did not want to go in that cold weather, oil temp never got over 125 degrees went about 20 miles. any ideas??
i thought it was iceing up on me in the carb area

funny, it was our first cold day, it gets as low as low teens here in mid winter,
and our humity is high which feels colder at times, kinda like dry heat and high humity heat , one is hot the other is really hot,
i'll prob take it to harley shop to get the mechanic to look over it and rejet it.
every thing on it is new , it has to be jet problem.

hi there i have an 07 883 l and here in PA its getting into the 30's in the morning when i ride to work , and i 'll tell ya the cold is making my bike run better , the cold dense air is making more power as well as the engine running way cooler . so im inclined to think you have some thing else going on there .

ride safe my friend

High humidity and cool temps cause freezing. I haven't heard of carb or t.b. freezing for a long tme though. Older car engines would have icing but that is why they routed hot air off the exh. man to warm the incoming air to the carb.
kemo

What do the plugs look like? If they're black, try a smaller main jet, I bet you're running rich.

i got on interstate and run it wide open and barely got it up to 70 mph.. when i let off of it it kinda spuddered and picked up again,
i pulled clutch in and rev it up to around 4000 and no missing at all, but in the highway ride it did not want to go in that cold weather, oil temp never got over 125 degrees went about 20 miles. any ideas??
i thought it was iceing up on me in the carb area

Run the bike through the gears into third gear and run third up to 60-70 MPH full throttle, then chop the throttle about 1/8 to 1/4 back and see if the bike either surges ahead or stumbles then recovers.

If it surges ahead, your jetting is lean
If it stumbles and recovers , your jetting is rich
If it makes no difference, you're pretty close.

I would agree to those that stated that the cooler the temp the better it will run. Here in Wi. it has been in the forty's and my classic runs beautiful. some warm dud's and I am really enjoying the rides as the scoot is happy.

Back