free website stats program Rider Backrest Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Rider Backrest Question

cdyoung29

I bought a used riders backrest like the one in the link. It just flops around when I am not in the saddle. I had a Road King contoured backrest and it had an internal spring under the backrest leather by the mounting arms that I presume kept from flopping forward or backward when you dismount. My question is shouldn't the backrest in the link have this internal spring. Thanks

Comfort Stitch Style Rider Backrest Kit | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

It does. The lower section actually mounts under the seat. The two pieces coming out of the cushioned backrest and going down into the lower mounted section are the spring-loaded pieces. These pieces are pressed together, inserted down into the mounted lower section and released to lock into place. You can see two holes in the lower mounted section that allow the backrest to be inserted at two different levels to adjust for comfort. Hope that helps somewhat.

:breakdance:cheers

Looking closer, there are actually three holes for height adjustment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply but, that is not the spring I am referring to. I am talkin about an internal spring to keep tension on the forward and backward motion of the backrest. This one just free flops.

Thanks for the reply but, that is not the spring I am referring to. I am talkin about an internal spring to keep tension on the forward and backward motion of the backrest. This one just free flops.

Mine is not the same as yours, but similar. Yes, it has two springs on it to keep tension on the pad. They pop off fairly easily, especially when inserting into the mount or removing it, so yours probably popped off somewhere. Check the packaging it came in if you still have it.

Got it! Mine's just got a chromed adjusting thumbnut on the back that lets me fine tune the forward - backward pad positioning and it doesn't flop around.

Jack, there are some, or a least one internal spring inside the backrest on the top of the mount forks. The mechanism pivots in two places inside the backrest casing. I got the cover (casing) pulled off the back of the backrest pad and found one spring (looked to be broke) hanging off of one of the pivot points. These are tension springs to keep the backrest in an upright position. I thought maybe there was a kit to replace the springs. I will check at the stealer tomorrow.

Along with the spring, do you also find the 3/16 set screw that allows you to adjust the fore/aft positioning of the pad? If that screw is gone, I could see your pad flipping back and forth without adjustment. Just another thought...

:breakdance:cheers

Jack, there are some, or a least one internal spring inside the backrest on the top of the mount forks. The mechanism pivots in two places inside the backrest casing. I got the cover (casing) pulled off the back of the backrest pad and found one spring (looked to be broke) hanging off of one of the pivot points. These are tension springs to keep the backrest in an upright position. I thought maybe there was a kit to replace the springs. I will check at the stealer tomorrow.

The screw is there. I went to the HD House and they were nice enough to let me see a new backrest and determine the length and routing of the missing spring. HD does not offer a replacement part for this spring. I found a spring at a local hardware store. It is not a perfect fit but it will work. Thanks for the input guys.

Any trick to pulling the cover off and reinstalling? I'm thinking of shortening the legs on my backrest (too tall even in the lowest position), and don't want to mess the cover up with welding heat.

Back