free website stats program Restoring the "faith"....after a breakdown. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Restoring the "faith"....after a breakdown.

This is a great question. My bike is new and about to go in this week for an electrical issue. I am not a mechanic but I do have a basic knowledge of how these two-wheeled wonders are supposed to work. I am just going to trust that the nice gentleman with "Master Technician" behind his name has a good idea about how to fix my ride and let him do his thing.

I think the time it takes for the comfort level to return has to do with your faith in your mechanic and the severity of the problem that had to be fixed. My current situation is a nuisance electrical thing and probably would never cause a serious break down. So after 50 miles or so with no issues I will be back in love with the bike. If it were a more serious problem, I'm sure I would be very uneasy for a while and assume that every little rattle was a piston about to rocket through the tank! Over time my fear would subside and all would be right with the riding universe once again.

I have learned to ask which Technician(s) at my local dealer have the best reputation. We have one that is the first choice for performance upgrades whatever they are. But he is in high demand and has alot of pressure to get it done quickly. He has some rework/comebacks. Another tech is known to take a little longer to get it done (costs a little more) but his work never comes back for tweaking/rework. A few others that did work on my bike are gone but not soon enough. It is a shame that a few techs that are lacking in the proper skills to get it right hurt so many dealers and there customers confidence in there service departments. Don't be afraid to ask who does it right every time before the work is done. Don't be afraid to ask several people at a dealership, Parts and sales as well as the service writer.

I have learned to ask which Technician(s) at my local dealer have the best reputation. We have one that is the first choice for performance upgrades whatever they are. But he is in high demand and has alot of pressure to get it done quickly. He has some rework/comebacks. Another tech is known to take a little longer to get it done (costs a little more) but his work never comes back for tweaking/rework. A few others that did work on my bike are gone but not soon enough. It is a shame that a few techs that are lacking in the proper skills to get it right hurt so many dealers and there customers confidence in there service departments. Don't be afraid to ask who does it right every time before the work is done. Don't be afraid to ask several people at a dealership, Parts and sales as well as the service writer.

The time I spent at a dealer working the service desk the biggest thing I saw was the lack of common sense. A tech would repair something and customer would complain, tech would 1st state it always was something that he did not touch. I would always ask to recheck what you just did or get a Senior tech to get involved and more than not it was always something that was last touched by tech. People can and will make mistakes and customer will understand so long as dealer does not have the premadonna attitude that its impossible for dealer to make a mistake and represent dealer as such. This is what causes dealer to get the bad rap...

I don't know how long,but I know what your talking about.Even after a flat,you feel a little "cursed".Doesn't last long

Haven't had a break down,or any problem's with my 2012 Limited,
WAP.gif

I had a '96 Ninja 250 that I acquired off a young fellow a couple years ago for free that I did some electrical work for that same year, I think around this time of the year (August), the battery died and left me stranded. Won't ever forget it, I had to go home, get my giant truck with my giant trailer and load it on up, because no one happened to have a battery for it. Best of all it won't run by itself, because of the ignition system relying on the battery's capacitive effect to smooth the voltage off the stator.

After I got home, I realized I had some 16ah UPS batteries sitting around at my shop, I could've modified one to work.

Did I lose faith in that bike? Nope... just learned a valuable lesson -- check your battery! Then again, it wasn't the bike's fault.

I have had a few breakdowns in my riding career and truthfully, while it bothered me for a day, I never let it stop me from riding. If I worried about breaking down, I'd never leave the house. I try to keep up with my bikes maintenance wise and pay attention to things that may need to be fixed. I have a few road assistance alternatives (AAA seems to be the best), so I figure that if I breakdown, they'll come and get me.

Back