free website stats program Replacing tank fitting... | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing tank fitting...

Pride913

I have a 07 street bob and noticed over the weekend it had started leaking. I went and got a new fuel line, changed it, but its leaking slowly around the connection. I figure it could only be the tank connection itself. My question is, is it difficult to change out. Any suggestions/tips?

I have a 07 street bob and noticed over the weekend it had started leaking. I went and got a new fuel line, changed it, but its leaking slowly around the connection. I figure it could only be the tank connection itself. My question is, is it difficult to change out. Any suggestions/tips?

The fitting is threaded in the tank. There is an o-ring on the fitting. More than likely, that is your issue. If not, it may be the fit of the quick connect in the fitting on the tank. Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and see if you are still getting the leak.

I have the fuel line disconnected and there is no leak, but when i connect the line, fuel starts to slowly leak. Im thinking its a o-ring or a seal in the connection to the tank. Its finally getting nice here in Kansas and now the bike is down....noooo! hahaha

:newsmile08:

I have the fuel line disconnected and there is no leak, but when i connect the line, fuel starts to slowly leak. Im thinking its a o-ring or a seal in the connection to the tank. Its finally getting nice here in Kansas and now the bike is down....noooo! hahaha

Good news. This is a common problem and its an easy fix.

All you need is the o-ring, but Harley doesn't list it separately.

Not only is there an o-ring on the external threads of the quick connect where it threads in the tank, but also an o-ring inside the quick connect to seal everything when the fuel supply line is inserted.

A small mirror will allow you to see up into the disconnect and spot the o-ring. A tool such as a dental pick or piece of stiff wire with a curved tip will work to remove the o-ring. Take it to your local hardware store, auto parts store, Tractor Supply, etc to match it up to a new one. Careful on the install not to nick the new o-ring.

I took the o-ring out, it WAS bad, i found the same one at the hardware store and replaced it. But when i took the ring out, a spring and the "nozzle" fell out. I got it to go back in but it doesnt seem to fit like it did. I checked to see if it would seal and it didnt. I might have damaged the spring or something because im pretty sure it is the right o-ring. That or the whole part is broke/faulting. Its no good when its the first day thats 60 degrees, and you can hear bikes out but cant ride yours.....

to replace the fitting in the tank will cost ya a silly amount for the fitting with the hose from the reg to the fitting, a hose clamp, a fuel tank top plate gasket and screws, aswell as a fuel sender if you dont know how to get it out of the tank. pain in the backside for just a torn oring

Back