free website stats program Replacing Stock Air Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Stock Air Filter

Just bought a 2007 Ultra Classic with stock air filter. I was wondering if I could change to high flow without remapping, (still has stock exhaust) Thanks in advance for responses.

Dave

Just change the element to K&N will improve airflow at a fraction of the cost. It is well made and often the maker of high flow performance reuseable air filter elements, typically around $50 or so and a bargain. Changing airfilter only usually is able to be compensated for by the existing computer and EFI system should be fine. If you change the exhaust system in the near future though, the air fuel mixture may be too lean for the stock settings to compensate. Look into Dobeck' tuner or similar if the latter is the case in the near future. JMHO :s

Just bought a 2007 Ultra Classic with stock air filter. I was wondering if I could change to high flow without remapping, (still has stock exhaust) Thanks in advance for responses.

Dave

Yes, high flow air only = no problem, add free flowing exhaust, and you should add more fuel. Note, there is a difference between free flowing (stage I), and just changing filters. If you retain your stock air cleaner backing plate, it is not free flowing, the backing plate is epa restrictive.

Welcome to the forum. The first years of my life were on a dairy farm in the Jamesville/DeWitt area.

A good way to get 'round the restrictive cover is to open up the cover a bit...! I have seen some cutout the air cleaner cover or in my case used taller element and spacers to allow a 1/2" gap to expose the perimeter of the element a bit. Works fine, but as Breeze says, the air horn/backing plate is the EPA based restrictor plate that limits free air flow too.

KuryakinMiniWings.jpg

Back