free website stats program Replacing Rear Brake Pads (Softail) | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Rear Brake Pads (Softail)

glider.

BOT Machine
As with all maintenance, buying the service manual is highly recommended.

Tools:

Instructions:

1. Remove the Master cylinder cover by removing the 2 Phillips head screws.
  2. Use the putty knife to separate the inside brake pad from the rotor (be careful not to scar the rotor).
  3. Use the putty knife to separate the outside brake pad from the rotor (See Figure 1 in this PDF Brake Pads And Discs).http://docs.sendsilently.com/getsilently/?id=31fefc0e570cb3860f2a6d4b38c6490d
  4. Remove the 2 brake pad pins (you may have to push the inside brake pad into the caliper with your 2 fingers, as you slide the pin halfway out and then the outside pad as you pull the pins the rest of the way out). (See Figure 2)
  5. As you slide the old pads out, notice which pad came from where. The new pads will go back in the same direction and position.
  6. Once you have both pins out, thoroughly clean the pins with Brake Cleaner.
  7. Put Blue Loctite on the pin threads and wipe a coat of Anti-seize on the shaft.
  8. Insert the new outside pad first (using the "finger push method," described above) push the new outside pad into the caliper as you insert both pins halfway.
  9. Repeat the "finger push method" for the inside pads and push the pins in the rest of the way. You will hear and feel a click on the pins when they are in.
  10. Now tighten the pins to 190 in lbs.
  11. Press the brakes to verify that the pistons are working and engage the pads.
  12. Check brake fluid level in the master cylinder. If low, fill to within ?" of the top.
  13. Replace master cylinder cover and tighten to 7 in lbs.
Note: This is done easiest when the calipers are off the bike.

Thanks a lot for the time you spend for me.
I placed an order for the manual but it's take time to receive it and in the meantime your explanations will be very useful;
sincerly
Granpa:s

Go to the home page and look under technical help then click on wheels, and brakes. I had a hard timee finding a wrench for the Pad pins, but finally found a 12pt.1/4" socket with a thin enough socket wall to work at sears. Craftsman 12pt.1/4".

It's me again. When you go to the home page, scroll down to self help tips,then click on wheels and brakes. Caliper maintenance is the 1st. item. If you scroll down farther you'll see Rear Brake , etc.

Well,.....if this is help to ANYONE trying to save a little money by D.I.Y. it's really not that bad or hard to do. Just takes a little time and patience and the ability to improvise or modify a tool you may already have and you CAN do it. If you can change car brake pads, then you can change your bikes. Its the same deal. I own a 2002 superglide and changed the rears myself in about an hour without taking off the back wheel or anything else. Thread at the top is the exact instructions for all models so JUST DO IT and be proud!!

Welcome 88, sounds like you had fun, yea it's easier to do while the wheels on the bike, I have a old brake rotor I use if the wheel is off the bike I just put the rotor in between the pads and then install the pins, the rotor keeps the pads from cocking.

Back