free website stats program replacing back tire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

replacing back tire

I removed my back tire to clean my caliper pistons a while back and didn't have a lift, NEVER again will I endure the hassles I went thru trying to get the tire past the rear fender. Ended up with some scratches on my frame and a dirty whitewall tire. I went out and bought a lift for the second attempt at removing the rear tire, it went very well with no hassles at all. I didn't remove the adjusters completely I used a sharpie and marked 12 oclock in the bolt and turned them both back the same turns,removed the belt and replaced the adjusters back to where they were when I put her back together. It worked well and the belt was positioned right where I had it when I took it off. If you have to go thru dropping the exhaust to remove the axle flip the axle around, might save you some roadside cussing cause its much easier for tire removal without dropping the exhaust every time.

Breeze, Have you figured out the deal on that groove yet? If going by the service manual, what you say is true,,, but why? I have studied that spacer and groove and could only come up for a reason about the groove if your bike is pre-sealed bearing.

I think on our bikes (sealed bearings), the groove position is not important.?? I just don't see a reason for it on post sealed bearing.
What's your take on it.

Well, that question resulted in a "2 cup :coffee" search. My '92 S.M. gives no reason. My '07 manual has the vague statement "with the larger OD on the outboard side, hold external spacer between swingarm and sprocket. Slide axle through left side of swing arm, spacer, and belt sprocket". I have not noticed that the ID of the spacer is tapered, but it sounds like it is, to aid in getting the axle started? I've done the groove in for so long, I don't think of why. Thanks for prompting me to know. I have a note in my S.M. to check id of spacer next time the wheel is off.

Are you talking about taking the tire off the wheel and replacing it yourself? Typically I will remove the wheel myself but take the wheel to a local indy for the actual tire swap. I'm not saying it cant be done by yourself but when you consider the balancing and everything else I'd say your probably better off to let a pro with proper equipment do it.

i am asking about re-installing the tire/wheel on the bike. i change the tire myself on a tire changing machine at the garage my buddy owns takes me less than 5 minutes and i use Dyna Beads to balance.

Well, that question resulted in a "2 cup :coffee" search. My '92 S.M. gives no reason. My '07 manual has the vague statement "with the larger OD on the outboard side, hold external spacer between swingarm and sprocket. Slide axle through left side of swing arm, spacer, and belt sprocket". I have not noticed that the ID of the spacer is tapered, but it sounds like it is, to aid in getting the axle started? I've done the groove in for so long, I don't think of why. Thanks for prompting me to know. I have a note in my S.M. to check id of spacer next time the wheel is off.

It all started when I finished installing my rear wheel. I then read the manual about the groove facing one direction. So I pulled it all apart to turn the spacer around but could not figure out why it was necessary.
The only thing I could come up with was the outside of one end of the spacer is camferred. If you have pre sealed bearings, the spacer is pushed into the lip seal.
The rounded off edge of the spacer prevents cutting the seal lip when entering. So on seal bearing bikes we don't need to worry about that because we don't have that type of seal. That was the best I could come up with. I have no clue if it's right or wrong.

I have seen HD carry-over wording from one manual to the next even after changes were made. Thought that was the case here but I really don't know for sure.
Thanks for the research.

thank yall for the comments. i will definitely look at adjuster cams play, wheel bearings, axle for grooves or wear. marking the spacers and a mark on adjusters are good tips.
WAP.gif

What size is the wrench that removes the rear axel. 07 Ultra. The tool shown in the service manual doesn' specify size. In this case, size matters.LOL

im not sure on the wrench size still havent gotten the bike up. tried raising it on the jack but the bike will not stay upright on the jack, as soon as bike starts to lift it starts falling over. not risking it. waiting to take it to a friends shop or until i can get some help to see why it falls over.

Back