free website stats program Replacing 5 speed stock transmission with a 6 speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing 5 speed stock transmission with a 6 speed

adalt2

Right now I am in Iraq and spending time planning on replacing my stock 5 speed transmission to a 6 speed transmission. I ride an '06 Road King Classic with stock engine for reference. I have a few questions though and need some input.
1) Is it a simple one for one swap?
2) What are some quality transmissions? (Revtech, Prowler, OEM, etc.)
3) Are there any additional parts required? ( I just replaced the clutch cable about 2500 miles ago)
4) Any other tips or advise?

Right now I am in Iraq and spending time planning on replacing my stock 5 speed transmission to a 6 speed transmission. I ride an '06 Road King Classic with stock engine for reference. I have a few questions though and need some input.
1) Is it a simple one for one swap?
2) What are some quality transmissions? (Revtech, Prowler, OEM, etc.)
3) Are there any additional parts required? ( I just replaced the clutch cable about 2500 miles ago)
4) Any other tips or advise?

Thank you for your service.

You have a number of very good alternatives to do this, and some OK ones. So a couple of questions:
  • Are you gonna be touring?
  • Is this just to reduce the rpm when running around at highway speeds?

I replaced my 5-spd with a SE 6-spd. With the SE, I did also have to buy a new sidecover (clutch release cover). Here is the story:

Upgraded to SE 6-speed: not a happy camper! - Harley Davidson Community

As I said at the bottom of that post, if I was doing it again, I would choose the Baker DD6. As a note, I have seen that JIM'S now has a plug for the old speed sensor hole!! See pg 104 here: http://www.jimsusa.com/pdf/2009_catalog.pdf

In any event, you have a choice of buying a complete tranny or the builders kit from most of the quality makers. The latter is the guts with or without the trap door and you just gut your tranny and replace with the builders kit set. This option saves a bit of money if you already have or can borrow the tools to do it. Otherwise, the completed tranny job is a straight swap out.

If you want to do the builders kit option but don't want your bike down for the period it take to gut and rebuild the case, I still have my OEM tranny sitting in the shipping box in the garage.

TQ

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had problems. Thanks for the input. I still have several months to consider my best option. Thanks.

Sorry to hear you had problems. Thanks for the input. I still have several months to consider my best option. Thanks.

NP. I also have a '91 Dyna that I need to rebuild (again! Did it in '99, but did not split the case or gut the tranny. Now the tranny is shot!). I am gonna put a 6-spd on that too, but I only use that bike for tooling around on (no cruisin'/long trip riding). So I am gonna go cheap with the RevTech 6-spd for that bike. Like I said above, if I were doing the Ultra again, I would spend the money for the Baker DD6.

TQ

I looked at the Baker and will give them a call. I ride when ever and where ever I can, so I manage to put some miles on it. I bought the bike in July 06 and rode up until Nov 08 and put a little over 22,000 miles on it. I don't have any issues with the transmission, but would like to put the 6 speed on.

From all i have read i would go with the baker if i didnt have a 6 speed all ready .. i kind of have a jones for the 7 speed

If I was looking, I would go with the baker because of quality and reputation. The 7 speed is just crazy. I want the 5 speed back :newsmile090:

If I was looking, I would go with the baker because of quality and reputation. The 7 speed is just crazy. I want the 5 speed back :newsmile090:

7 speed would take up the big gap between 3-4 and up

Already passed that,my 1980 Honda CB900 has 5 speed with HI/LO = 10 speed:D

Back