free website stats program replaceing the head gasket on a 77 ironhead | Harley Davidson Forums

replaceing the head gasket on a 77 ironhead

lewis

Do I need to take the rocker box apart, and have the vaves closed by having the tappets lower in the tappet guide. can I leave the parts in the rocker box. Please can some one help me in this matter. Thank you! for your time

lewis

Take all the of the adjustment out of the lifter adjustment screws, remove the push rods, remove the bolts that hold down the rocker boxes (no disassembly of the rocker boxes required unless you find a problem though it's a good time to check the rocker arm bushings) then pull the head bolts. If memory serves me right, if the engine is in the frame, the front rocker box will lift out but the rear rocker box will only come out with the head. That's how it worked on my 1975 XLH.

By the way, you need a manual for the bike. It will give you the fine points, torque settings, not to mix the parts when putting things back together and the like.

hazmat

Thank you, for your info. I have this type of manual called: CLYMER HARLEY DAVIDSON for sportsters 1959-1985. I am hoping it is a good service tech book. I know it is alot differnt than a car LOL. How will I know if the rocker arm bushings are bad or not and what should I look for. Do I have to remove the valves to see the rocker arm bushing. My address is [email removed] and thank you for your help

lewis

Take all the of the adjustment out of the lifter adjustment screws, remove the push rods, remove the bolts that hold down the rocker boxes (no disassembly of the rocker boxes required unless you find a problem though it's a good time to check the rocker arm bushings) then pull the head bolts. If memory serves me right, if the engine is in the frame, the front rocker box will lift out but the rear rocker box will only come out with the head. That's how it worked on my 1975 XLH.

By the way, you need a manual for the bike. It will give you the fine points, torque settings, not to mix the parts when putting things back together and the like.

Hazmat

Thank you for your help! I do have a manual called CLYMER for sportster 1959-1985 the manual seems to leave some part out of it. like you say look at the rocker arm bushings ok. What type of problems should I look for on the rocker arm bushings. Do I need to remove the valves to get to the rocker arm bushings. If you could please give me more help my (Email removed - pls use PM or Mail system)

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I forgot to mention remove the oil lines to the rocker boxes.

The valves stay in the heads, no need to remove them unless you think the valve guides are bad.

The rocker arms stay in the rocker boxes. You want to look for pitting on the contact pads and check for excessive wear between the rocker arm bushings and rocker arm shaft. Disassembly and inspection is explained on page 92-93 of the Clymer book.

Hope this helps

Back