free website stats program Replaced Stator & everything went bad | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced Stator & everything went bad

I replaced the stator on my 94' bagger and everything from then went to hell!!! Here's the short version. Stator replaced and done, everything back and ready to ride. Started up and it died( a few times)- thought maybe bad gas. swapped out gas, put in fuel cleaner, took carb apart and cleaned that, clean gas shut off, took tank off- cleaned that, replaced plugs, wires and coil, checked VOES hoses for leaks- none. Now I can't see the timing mark in the inspection hole!!! Rotated sensor plate all the way in both directions and NOTHING. The above wasn't done in that exact order but all the above were checked and verified. It will run but only at 1500 RPM or higher and still with a miss.
Any thoughts or am I just having a brain fart or being a (edited)??

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Replaced Stator & everything went bad

If it runs at 1500, I would suspect a carb problem.

Rotating the timing sensor plate is a NO NO as you did it. It only takes a VERY minor adjustment to that from the position where it was timed properly to cause a problem with kickback and wipe out the ring gear or starter drive.

Best left alone if you don't know what you are doing there. Now you have to set the timing again when you get it running.

If it runs at 1500, I would suspect a carb problem.

Rotating the timing sensor plate is a NO NO as you did it. It only takes a VERY minor adjustment to that from the position where it was timed properly to cause a problem with kickback and wipe out the ring gear or starter drive.

Best left alone if you don't know what you are doing there. Now you have to set the timing again when you get it running.
Glider,
Appreciate the reply. Just thought maybe some other gear head out there had a thought I had over looked.

Aint that the truth . . .been there done that . . . .but still got the same problem and there aint no reason for this. Oh well (EDITED) happens
Or as they say in Wyoming . . .sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you

Last edited by a moderator:

Pardner, Glider is about THE gear head here. Any way, did you impact the rotor on? A good impacting will dislodge the magnets in the rotor. I went thourgh all this and the guys on this blog were patient and led me all the way. Did you get your battery load tested? That is the cheapest first step. There is a tip page on here that can lead you all the way through. Fossil

Back