free website stats program Removing slip ons | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing slip ons

I picked up a set of true dual header's and slip ons, the fella took them off his bike as all one piece. (touring pipes)
Any tips, tricks or advice as to how I can get the slip ons off the pipes with out being mounted ? I do not want to trash either the pipes or the slip ons in the process and didn't want to try and install them such as they are. Thanks Tim

Spray the joint with WD40 and wait 20-30 min. have someone hold the header pipe while you twist the muffler. Sometimes a little heat from a hair dryer will help. I don't reccomend putting either the header of the muffler in a vise.

I picked up a set of true dual header's and slip ons, the fella took them off his bike as all one piece. (touring pipes)
Any tips, tricks or advice as to how I can get the slip ons off the pipes with out being mounted ? I do not want to trash either the pipes or the slip ons in the process and didn't want to try and install them such as they are. Thanks Tim

Get another man to hold the header while you pull on the slip on. A side-to-side and twisting action should work. Use a little silicon spray at the joint to help loosen the slip-on off the header.
Good luck

Mufflers can be a real pain to get off the header pipe if they have been on for a long time
some penetrating fluid in the joint and left for a while can help some heat to expand the muffler can help twisting will break the bond between the 2 but it may take some time and effort
If you start getting frustrated spray some more penetrating fluid and walk away for a wee while

Brian

Mufflers can be a real pain to get off the header pipe if they have been on for a long time
some penetrating fluid in the joint and left for a while can help some heat to expand the muffler can help twisting will break the bond between the 2 but it may take some time and effort
If you start getting frustrated spray some more penetrating fluid and walk away for a wee while

Brian

Sage advice on the walk away have learned that in the past and has saved my behind and cash more than once. Tim

Thanks for the suggestions, I have heard the PB blaster mentioned in other threads as well thanks dbmg for the link I will give that a try as well. Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
You are welcome. That PB blaster is some great stuff. Use it all the times...

And when you reinstall, use a bit of high-temp. anti-seize. Makes it easier the next time you need to remove them.

HELP !!!
I reached for the shop rags and a pipe wrench last night !!:small3d031: frustrated is putting it midly, I have been working at this every other night or so since I first posted and have gotten no where. Am using the PB blaster and I can see it run into the joint and not just down the outside of the muffler, Any more ideas ? I am pretty sure these were shop installed they would not have used an adhesive or bonding agent would they have ? Thanks again. Tim

If i was in your current position on this i would try to fix one end so that it is unmovable then heat the joint with a gas torch and try to twist the free end and pull at the same time
heating of the joint should expand it slightly and if anything is in the joint it should soften with the heat but mufflers do get stuck to header pipes just with the expansion and contraction and some of the gases from exhaust

Brian

Back