free website stats program Removing Fuel Filter - '95 FLHTCUI | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Fuel Filter - '95 FLHTCUI

I own one of the first fuelies, the '95 Electra-Glide. It's been in storage at a friend's house for over 7 years. Left it with a full tank of stabilized gas -- my mistake. The inside is a real mess. Problem - Can't get the nut off the bolt that holds the fuel filter in place. The bolt just spins. I can't tell if the bolt head was spot welded or just fits into a slot. Either way, it's free-wheeling and I can't see how to get the nut off short of cutting or grinding it off. Any suggestions before I do something stupid. Thanks - Joe

Yes. I have both the standard service manual and the supplement that covers all the fuel injection related stuff. The only guidance is to remove the nut from the bolt that holds the filter in place. I had the filter changed about 10 years ago and the tech didn't mention any problem. Unless I get a response that offers a better idea, I intend to try to cut a slot into the end of the bolt for a screwdriver and use an open-end wrench to try to free up the nut. Biggest problem is that there's not much room to work inside the tank. Thanks - Joe

Got the fuel pump off today. Was able to get a Dremel wheel on the end of the bolt, cut a slot into it and using a screwdriver and open end wrench free the nut. Probably will replace the pump. It's a Walbro. Harley wants $264 for a new one. Can buy one from fuel-pumps.net for around $100. Thanks - Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I have both the standard service manual and the supplement that covers all the fuel injection related stuff. The only guidance is to remove the nut from the bolt that holds the filter in place. I had the filter changed about 10 years ago and the tech didn't mention any problem. Unless I get a response that offers a better idea, I intend to try to cut a slot into the end of the bolt for a screwdriver and use an open-end wrench to try to free up the nut. Biggest problem is that there's not much room to work inside the tank. Thanks - Joe

Got the fuel pump off today. Was able to get a Dremel wheel on the end of the bolt, cut a slot into it and using a screwdriver and open end wrench free the nut. Probably will replace the pump. It's a Walbro. Harley wants $264 for a new one. Can buy one from fuel-pumps.net for around $100. Thanks - Joe

Hey Joe, just curious...I may need to replace my fuel pump('01 R/K) in the near future(a little noisy)....where did u find this "$100" aftermarket pump??, I checked "fuel-pumps.net" & they dont list "Harley" anywhere??

Getting a Walbro fuel pump - I called Walbro direct. They had a fuel pump for my '95 FLHTCFUI. I bought it direct from Walbro (ask for Luis). Luis told me I was lucky that they still had one. Cost me $75 - no shipping or tax. Joe

Back