free website stats program Removing Carbon | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Carbon

glider.

BOT Machine
If you are running stock air cleaner or any air cleaner set up that routes the head breathers back into the CARB/FI throat than you are going to get some carbon build up from the oil vapor. Carbon buildup can cause pinging in just about any motor and sometimes starting problems because of a higher compression pressure.
Remove the air cleaner and take a spray bottle and after bike is warmed up hold throttle at about 1500-2000 rpm and start spraying directly into the carb throat and don't let engine die. Keep spraying about 4 ounces or so in the harley engine and the carbon will be blown out the exhaust.
If you park the bike with the exhaust facing a wall, you can see just how much carbon comes out doing this.
Try to direct the spray down the center of the intake and avoid any sensors or you may set a code that has to be cleared.

It's best to do this before an oil change so any water vapor that may get into the oil will be removed during the change . If you aren't changing the oil, take the bike for a nice long ride (20 miles or more) to dry out any moisture that got into the oil.

Most engines will respond very favorably to this treatment.

If you do happen to set a code, look at the top of this forum for your year bike and it will tell you how to remove the code.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

I've done this to car engines before it works very well no one would ever think of it. To tell you the truth I was skeptical at first but it really works.:D

Have you ever seen if you park the tail pipes close to a wall what comes out? You may be surprised. You'll have some big black spots there after you're done.

Have you ever seen if you park the tail pipes close to a wall what comes out? You may be surprised. You'll have some big black spots there after you're done.

Never witnessed that happen but I suppose it could. I've decarbonized the blades in a turbocharger on my old car using your method. It does cloud things up pretty well so I guess pull it away from the wall before starting or you will have a mess.:s

If you have ever pulled a cyl. head off an engine with a blown head gasket you will find that piston will be nice and clean fron the steam cleaning that it got from the coolant that got into that cylinder.

Once a year is more than enough to decarbonize. Best to do it before an oil change in case you get some water past the rings.

Back