free website stats program remapping question | Harley Davidson Forums

remapping question

alleyking

Hello,
I purchased my first Harley a week ago (07 RKC). The bike already had a stage 1 kit, but had stock exhaust. After some negotiations, the dealer agreed to put on screaming eagle pipes for me.
I asked the salesman if the tech remapped the fuel injection, since the bike now had a stage 1 and pipes. He said that they have found that remapping is not really needed with some pipes. He said that his own bike (08 RK) has a stage 1 with aftermarket pipes and he did not do the download. After reading here and talking with some different dealer service departments on the phone, I am getting two different opinions. My bike is running without any problems, not backfireing or popping. I just dont want it to run too hot and maybe damage it.
Is this remap from the dealer really needed, or will i be wasting my money?
Thanks for your help...

Many differing opinions on this. The download (if available) isn't needed and it will run without one BUT, it will run very lean because the 02 sensors are a narrow band and it will run on the extreme edge of lean meaning very hot. With the stage 1 and the mufflers it makes a very noticable improvment in power and performance with added fuel.

I suggest adding a TFI which you can do yourself and it enables you to adjust the bike yourself and the dealer isn't needed any more. I use it on mine and they work well.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV

Many topics on this unit including a discount link here.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

thanks very much for the info, Glider. One dealer near me said they have the download, and it would be $170.
How much for the TFI?

thanks very much for the info, Glider. One dealer near me said they have the download, and it would be $170.
How much for the TFI?

The TFI for your bike should be under $260 (EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV). Mention that you are a member here when you order, and they will give you $10 off and free shipping. If you talk to Chris when you order, just discuss your setup and he will suggest starting settings that may be better than what is in the instructions.

This price is more than the download, but the download returns you to a lean condition that HD has to use to meet EPA requirements. The TFI is infinitely adjustable, so if you go somewhere else that is at a higher or lower altitude than you are now you can adjust yourself. You will also be able to adjust it should you choose to make other changes to the huff and puff systems in the future. I too have the TFI on my bike ('03 UC with Stage 1 and roller chain conversion).

TQ

its needed i had to do something with my 08 it ran way lean right from factory

When doing this TFI, air cleaner and pipes change, what kind of fuel milage can you expect, under normal riding condition, meaning not racing your shadow. Stage 1 on my 03 RKC dropped about 5 mpg, thinking of doing something with my 09 RKC soon

I took my 08 FatBob to Stage 1 with KromeWerks slip-ons, SE A/C, and PCIII. I was roughly getting 44 to 46 miles per gallon stock. After the Stage 1 and Dyno, getting maybe 40, but more like 38. But man does she run good.

When doing this TFI, air cleaner and pipes change, what kind of fuel milage can you expect, under normal riding condition, meaning not racing your shadow. Stage 1 on my 03 RKC dropped about 5 mpg, thinking of doing something with my 09 RKC soon

Depending on the style of riding you can expect anywhere in the area of 32-38+MPG on the 96 with the additions you are speaking of.

Depending on the style of riding you can expect anywhere in the area of 32-38+MPG on the 96 with the additions you are speaking of.

I'll go with that. But after the gain in HP and TQ, I'll sacrfice the 5 to 7 mph. She runs like a champ. And boy does she sound good. The KromeWerks slip-ons aren't abnoxious but low rubble and sweet down shift.

Back