free website stats program Redline | Harley Davidson Forums

Redline

coopernicus

Contributor
As you all know , I now have an 18 Milwaukee 8. I would like to know if anyone is running redline in tranny and primary. I run it in the heritage and like it....any thoughts?

As you all know , I now have an 18 Milwaukee 8. I would like to know if anyone is running redline in tranny and primary. I run it in the heritage and like it....any thoughts?
Redline is as good a product available. Use it with no worries.

I am using Redline shockproof (pepto bismol) in my twin cam trans. It seems to be good. I can't tell much difference between it and Mobile 75/140 or Golden Spectro Platinum plus. Maybe a tiny bit less clunk going into 2nd when hot.

Formula plus is the only oil that doesn't cause My 2017 to clunk going into first gear.

I run Redline, I like how it coats the moving parts and sticks to the gears. My dreaded Harley clunk seamed to have improved as well.
With the pink color it makes it a lot easer to find a leak.

I use Redline in the
trans and primary.....I was using Bel-Ray but switched last year.I still use Bel-Ray (semi synthetic) in the motor, 2005 electra glide classic.

I tried Schafer 75/140 for big twin.
Road home and noticed the transmission was noisy. When I got back to work the next day I drained it out put the oil back into the bottle and sent it back to NAPA.
I put Formula + back in and the noise was gone.
I going to stay with it.

In the past I've used RedLine only for transmissions, but I''ve been getting RedLine in all three holes since I got my new bike last year. I am now (18,000 miles) re-thinking my primary fluid with another brand.

DISCLAIMER: I have no evidence that the noises I experience are in any way attributed to the RedLine products I have used and I'm not even trying to say that they are.

Here is what I'm hearing from my 2018 StreetGlide:
1) On cold starts with the bike on a slight incline I hear a ton of racket from what seems like the compensator or at least the front end of the primary. This happens only when parked overnight and ambient temps are below 80. Within 3 minutes of warming up it is gone. I ride to work and get on the bike 9 or 10 hours later and there is no 'clack clack clack' noise but it is 110 degrees outside so I just don't know...
2) Emergency stopping -- I get a LOT of 'lash' noise when coming to an emergency stop and downshifting.
3) On a recent 1000 mile trip in a lot of heat up to Monument Valley, UTah, my bike started making horrible clacking. This sounded more like rocker arms than compensator related.)

2 cents...nothing to back it up.

Last edited:
Do check Your trans fluid level.I have a 2019 with 2900 miles and 5 1/2 ounces down after oil change at 1400 miles.I had a 2017 with 25000 miles that had trans gear set replaced.Had a horrible noise that sounded like top end at speed,but turned out to be the gear that They added to make first clunk less.2019 goes in tomorrow to check the primary level, and I have the primary vent installed.Transmission transfer appears to still be an issue even with primary vent .
I do hope that Your issue proves to be minor.

Back