free website stats program recondition plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

recondition plugs

bobwire

does anyone bead blast plugs anymore ? if not what's the way they are cleaned these days...............bw

thanks guys, been fouling some of late (to rich). wound up with 4 sets (on road trip), home now problem fixed, just figured i could save plugs (300 mi set) thanx............bw

Bobwire, if you have access to a bead blaster, and you have that many sets of barely used...probably worthwhile in THAT case. When doing high speed "chops" when testing and setting up A/F mixture, it is perfectly fine to use them. If not fouled bad, properly tuned engine would have them cleaned up pretty quick anyway.

does anyone bead blast plugs anymore ? if not what's the way they are cleaned these days...............bw

If for some reason I have mine out and they ran fine, showing No problems and new enough yet,,,,,

I take a stainless brush to the electrical spark end of plugs, also brush Clean the threaded ends, check gap, Put a dab of silver anti-seize on the threaded ends and re-insert them to a Tightness I feel is tight... Probably close to the right torque specs.

I only use the stock HD plug and Nothing fancy or $$$$ more, as these Stock plugs work Best in the Harleys.

I have Tried ALL the plugs offered over the years (lots of snake oil) and the stock ones have Always work best for me and are cheap enough to replace Often.....

signed....BUBBIE

I replace mine as part of my fluids service. Engine oil, tranny gear lube, primary fluid, oil filter and spark plugs every 3k-5k miles, but aim for 3k.

TQ

Remember the crush gasket on an old plug is meant to be torqued only once it helps in heat transfer and makes a good seal for compression:s

Back