free website stats program Rear tire | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire

hdryder

I have about 3/32 remaining on my 2010 EGC'S dunlop rear tire, the bike has about 10k on it now. Should I try to get another 1 or 2k out of it or change it now?

I personally like to change my tyres a wee bit before they get to the minimum legal tread depth but then my general road conditions are often wet and the more tread the better water dispersion

Brian

I normally get about 7,000 miles on my rear tire before replacing as they are usually pretty worn by then. I ride more often 2 Up than not otherwise I might try to squeeze extra miles from them but knowing my passenger will often be with me a choose to replace sooner than later.

You should be getting twice that mileage out of those tires. Might want to figure out why you are not, but don't try to squeeze every bit out of them, they tend to wear faster as they get down in tread.

Mileage and wear limits aside, change tire(s) while you have the time to find the best price and if you take off the wheel/tires, save almost $100 by taking them to a metric shop where you decide to buy the discounted tires of choice on your terms. Best not to wait until you HAVE to...just my way.

The last time I DID go to the local H-D dealer, for the convenience and tire sale coincided with my needs...about $300 for 2 tires...in and out the door in couple hours on a weekend, free hotdogs and softdrinks while waiting. :D

:good

I have about 3/32 remaining on my 2010 EGC'S dunlop rear tire, the bike has about 10k on it now. Should I try to get another 1 or 2k out of it or change it now?

Do you know about the "wear bars" cast into the tread? There are a couple of triangles cast into the sidewall of the tire. If there is a bridge of rubber across the tread patten between the triangles, tire is due for replacement. I never let mine get that low.

Back