free website stats program rear tire replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

rear tire replacement

robnbell

I recently replaced my rear tire on my 03 softail with an identical tire. I now have a smoking problem whenever I have a passenger on the back. I'm not sure what's smoking but it appears to be coming from either the tire or belt guard. Any know what I need to do?
Thanks!!

If you have a bike jack I would jack it up, get on my hand and knees with a Hi intensity light and look for the rubbing. It can't be far away and should stick out without too much trouble. You should see where it made contact.

Like Hoople said, a very dark line, or groove on the tire should not be hard to find. If it's an identical brand and size tire, somethings wrong with the install.

After you jack her up and take a look I am sure you will see where it has been rubbing. Then you can decide how & what you need to do to fix it.

I once hooked up with a passenger that had a little too much junk in the trunk and that made it rub.

Hoople, I can only guess as to how you decided to fix the rubbing problem when you had it! :18:

I would think if the wheel is not aligned properly it could cause the belt and tire to rubagainst the belt guard especialy with a passenger.
kemo

I recently replaced my rear tire on my 03 softail with an identical tire. I now have a smoking problem whenever I have a passenger on the back. I'm not sure what's smoking but it appears to be coming from either the tire or belt guard. Any know what I need to do?
Thanks!!

Like the others have said you need to determine where the tire is making contact. When you were riding two up and the tire was worn this might have been enough to make clearence so you did not notice any rubbing. You did not mention how many miles you have on the bike, or if you have replaced the original shocks. I will assume that they are original and you have not added extensions to lower the rear. After you have determined where the rub is you need to look into replacing the rear shocks.

Thanks to all who replied! You have given me some things to think about. I'll play with it today.

Thank you again!!

Robnbell, welcome to the HDTimeline forum. With the new tire, check if it is the same OEM size and type tire as the Dunlop that was installed. A new tire has more "meat" in the center of the tread, and as your ride ages, the suspension sacks down a bit. May want to adjust the preload up a notch or two (to the max if you ride two up often). And the likely thing you are rubbing is the inner fender, where there is a metal wire loom protecting the taillight/license plate wiring. It is easier to find this with a bike lift to get the tire away from the fixed fender by allowing the swingarm and wheel to drop to their "lowest position".

Back