free website stats program Rear swing arm play. | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear swing arm play.

Fisherking

I have swing arm play . Just a hair but I can feel it when I push the swing arm from side to side.It's nothing realy maby at the back of the wheel it is 1/32 play maby a bit more .
I have been looking for tolerances on this but maby I'm looking in the wrong spot . I checked self help steering and frame .

Thanks F.K.

Re: Rear swing are play

Is the play in the swing arm or the rear wheel bearings?

The swing arm has hard rubber "donuts" on either side of the swing arm axle that will wear as the miles roll up and introduce some side play at the swing arm axle. There are also swing arm bearings that will wear as well.

1/32" is abou .030", so I don't think I would be concerned. However, if you wanted to invest about $150 for the donuts and bearings and the man hours required to replace them, you can tighten that .030" to near 0.00".:coffee

The swing arm has hard rubber "donuts" on either side of the swing arm axle that will wear as the miles roll up and introduce some side play at the swing arm axle. There are also swing arm bearings that will wear as well.

1/32" is abou .030", so I don't think I would be concerned. However, if you wanted to invest about $150 for the donuts and bearings and the man hours required to replace them, you can tighten that .030" to near 0.00".:coffee

Ok kool sounds good . Thanks .

F.K.

I checked it again with a buddy holding the bike . There is no desernable play in the swing arm. it was caused by the bike rocking a bit on the jack .

F.K.

Back