free website stats program rear break, long travel | Harley Davidson Forums

rear break, long travel

astrorock

Hello all i hope you can help me, i have a 99 fxstc and the rear break seems to have a lot of travel before the break engages.. there are no leaks, that's about all i know.. is there an adjustment for how touchy the break feels? does it need new pads.. i am pretty mechanical but am not familiar with the braking sytems on a Harley. i thought i'd get your opinions before i take it to my local stealer..

Just a little background, is the problem recent of just steadily getting worse and came to your attention. Was there any service done in the vicinity, like rear wheel removal, and something not reassembled correctly. Check the pads and that the caliper is centered over the disc...AND in the middle of the travel.

It is amazing, but the pads when they wear wil lose over 3/8" in width each, yet the caliper will/should remain centered over the disc, but the piston on one side will extend taking up the slack, moving the whole assembly over. If the pads are worn, there will be little or no space between pad material and backing and most of the piston will be visible. Do a thorough check with flashlight. The other reason of course is air or low fluid causing the system to "cavitate" with air bubbles in the lines that will be hard to bleed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same on my `06 Streetbob, compared to my previous bike, the rear brake does require more travel before I feel it engages. I'd be interest to know if this can be adjusted as well.

If I understand correctly, there is nothing wrong with the brake feeling except for the distance the pedal needs to move before it engages the brake right? Not that you have a "mushy" feeling when the pedal is pressed?

Following this thread for answers!

thanks i'll take a look tonight, i have a feeling that the pads are low because i will get the occasional squeek when braking with it.. honestly i didn't notice it until i rode my friends 08 dyna.. and his is real touchy!!

ok, i took of the break caliper and there was only about 1/8" or pad left so i purchased a set of pads at the dealer for 50$ and am going to install them tonight.. we'll see how it go's

Take a look in the Self Help Tips for caliper cleaning and pad replacement. I use a wooden paint stirrer and dull chisel as a wedge to retract the piston back into their bores AFTER throughly cleaning the exterior with a shoe lace and plain bit of clear water initially on an old rag, this prevents the brake particles and contaminants from being driven into places like the piston bore if you use Brakleen or other solvents that act like a carrier. AND absolutely nothing petroleum based, especially into the rubber sealing parts when you start pushing piston in.

Last edited:
Back