free website stats program rear brake pad replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

rear brake pad replacement

so cal hoss

I'm nearing 11,000 miles on my 2010 Roadglide so I picked up a new set of rear brake pads for my bike with ABS. According to the manual the caliper is unbolted and angled off the rotor. Not so! I tried angling the rotor while rotating the rear tire thinking there has to be a particular slot on the rim to allow the removal of the caliper. There just isn't enough clearance! Anybody else experience this or am I missing something?

I'm nearing 11,000 miles on my 2010 Roadglide so I picked up a new set of rear brake pads for my bike with ABS. According to the manual the caliper is unbolted and angled off the rotor. Not so! I tried angling the rotor while rotating the rear tire thinking there has to be a particular slot on the rim to allow the removal of the caliper. There just isn't enough clearance! Anybody else experience this or am I missing something?

The way I do it is to put my lift with the right pad under the rear of the frame just in front of the dog bone. Not sure if your frame still has that, but the point is to lift just the rear of the bike. Loosen the pad retainer pins with a 1/4" - 12 point socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet. Then pull the axle and jack the rear of the bike up until the rotor is clear of the caliper/pads. At this point your should be able to rock the caliper arm up from the point where the axle would slide through it, and free the whole caliper assemble from the frame so it is easier to work on. Make sure you clean the pistons BEFORE pushing them back into the caliper. Hold the old pads in while you pull the pins, then replace the pads one at a time keeping pressure against the anti-rattle spring so it doesn't fall out. Replace the pins and torque them. Reassemble and align the wheel so the axle will reinstall. Be careful guiding the rotor between the new pads as you slowly lower the bike so the axle will reinstall. Adjust the belt tension, torque the crown nut to 100 ft-lbs., replace the clip, and then pump the rear brake to extend the pistons. Make sure the rear brake works as you back it out. Take it for a gentle ride double checking the operation of the rear brake before running wild!!

TQ

Things sure have changed...on my '04 you just loosen up the pad pins and the brake pads fall right out in your hand...slip in the new ones and reinsert the pins and your good to go...no need to remove the caliper...I guess newer is not always better!

The newer touring bikes have the Brembo calipers. There is only one pin and the pads are replaced from the bottom unlike the earlier Harley version where you remove 2 pins and the pads can be removed from the top. This is a different animal all together. I know Fix My Hog has a video that shows them just angling the caliper right off and the pad replacement is really easy and straight forward. I appreciate all the feedback!

On my 08 Road King, I can wiggle the caliper off the disk without all the additional dis assembly. Does the wider rear tire/wheel on the newer models eliminate the straight forward caliper removal?

Back