free website stats program Rear air shocks leaking down | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear air shocks leaking down

Gabbin

Has anyone experienced leaking in the air shock system, and what did you find wrong.

Last year, I had a leak, and took all the lines loose, trimmed them and sprayed WD40 in the ports. This worked great. Now this year, it seems as if I have a fairly slow leak again. So this time I took them apart, and cleaned and used an assembly type lube, by Lucas, to see if that would help correct the situation. I depressed and seated the hoses into the ports well, and aired up to 25 psi. to give me a good base pressure. Now to wait and see? By the way this is an 09 RK, with 17k on it.

Try some soap bubbles on all the lines after you pump them up.

Check the schrader valve for leaks also, soap up the boots on the shocks see if you have bubbles there also

I had this same problem with my 2010 RKC a few months after I bought it. Dealer fixed it under warranty and the problem was the schrader valve leaking. They removed it, cleaned the threads and re-installed it using plumbers teflon tape. It seems to have worked.

I think using Teflon tape is overkill. I would pump it up to 25# and use a soapy spray, even Windex or any other glass cleaner and find the leak before I would cut any lines. I would also make sure the protective cap is always installed. Run without it and when you need to add any air you run the risk of allowing dirt to get in/on the Schrader valves seal and creating a leak.

Back