rattles

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by gunnut, Jul 12, 2010.

1. gunnut

gunnut Junior Member

anybody any ideas on stopping my jiffy stand rattling???I've had a look,and everythnig seems to be ok bolt and fixings wise.Do I need to buy a kit of some sort,or can I bodge it somehow????Thanks,
    Also,The screaming eagle pipes have a rat6tle too,anbd no amount of tightening the fixing clamps kills it.I'm begining to suspect loose baffles...if thts the case,can they be tightened up,or shall I just rip em out and have even louder pipes???

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Check if you are missing a side stand bumper. Not sure if there is one on that bike but worth a look.

As far as the mufflers, sometimes it's necessary to "modify" the baffle ends so they fit tighter (bend) :D

Are you sure it's not the heat shields making the noise?

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

A few more here:::
    If kick-stand doesn't have a good Tight return spring, replace it...

If the frame Doesn't have a Rubber stop for the kick stand, Some have A rubber in the Hole on the kick stand,,,, that may be missing, my 2000 had that problem of rubber missing from stand. $2.50 new from HD and rattle gone....(if missing on stand, a small hole on the flat end of stand is easy to see,,, and is where it goes)

ALSO, I have found to take OUT the baffles and LIGHTLY tap the INNER (forward end,usually too loose a fit) Lightly,with a hammer using my vice end as a bucking bar... making them tight again.. Mine did rattle there...

signed....BUBBIE

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

[​IMG]:bigsmiley20:

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I know you want to fatten me up for something.........

Maybe the KILL or the "POOF" button?? :newsmile107:

LOL

signed....BUBBIE

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

:bigsmiley20: Now why would you say that...POO....... woops!

7. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I still have the stock pipes on my bike (2009 FXDL) and you can hear my baffles rattle when the bike is sitting still and at idle. I did not know I could remove them and give them a twist or bend to stop them from making noise. Will I have to remove the pipes from the cylinders to do that? How big a job?

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I think they are talking SE pipesHoop, stock mufflers have a plug that looks like a freeze plug

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

No, removal Not necessary,,,,, Just look at the side bottom back on muffler and see IF they are held by a "bolt" or "rivet"... Just remove "that" and pull out the baffles and You will see how to fix... The top end has a collar that fit tight into the muffler.... Usually loose and just needs to be Out of Round a little to tighten to muffler... Careful Hoop when you put the baffles back IN so You PRE-align as they came out,,,, so not much turning is needed when replacing the rivet or bolt. Once they are Tight, coming back out is difficult!

signed....BUBBIE

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Hoople,
    If a rivet is used on yours and the alignment is not lined up when you put it back together,, I have re-drilled the baffle Thru the muffler hole and saved line-up time , drilling a new rivet hole as long as the baffle is ALL the way in place....

signed....BUBBIE