free website stats program Racking up the miles | Harley Davidson Forums

Racking up the miles

hotrodjohn

How long do Harley engines run before needing a rebuild? I have heard of guys breaking the 100 thou mark. Is that normal with proper maintenance?

No reason why they cant go over 100K if they are maintained and you don't ride the life out of them.

Rode with a couple of guys on Ultras today up in Ocala and one of them had 116,xxx miles on his bike. It ran great. I asked him what repairs he had in the past. He said only some valve train work at 85,000 miles.

I got around 120k with only one top end job, then had top and bottom done and did another 80k or so.
Before the complete rebuild, I rarely changed the oil...just refilled what leaked out.:p 86 FXRS.

About 2 months ago I was having a service done at the bike shop I use and saw a 02 heritage being rebuild with 165,000 and the own said he was having it done because the power was not there anymore . I am 52 and my power is not there also :)

About 2 months ago I was having a service done at the bike shop I use and saw a 02 heritage being rebuild with 165,000 and the own said he was having it done because the power was not there anymore . I am 52 and my power is not there also :)

I enjoyed reading this. If I could get 165,000 before I have S&S rebuild my engine with a cam and big bore kit, I would happy. They retrue all their cranks too.

If you think your power is gone at 52 wait till you get 61 LOL. I have to really work at it to keep what I have left going.

Youngster!:14:

I'd suggest, there was something fundamentally WRONG, if the engine in a 10-35K vehicle could NOT get at least 100k .
In fairness, they might not get ridden all that much... and sitting around may take a larger toll on the bike, than frequent use, with proper maintenance.

I'm embarrassed to admit, I only have 73k on my 2005 FLTR.... but then again, it had 10K in Dec '07 when I bought it

Back