free website stats program Quick carb question | Harley Davidson Forums

Quick carb question

Doug S

Anyone know if P/N 27038-90 will work on my 94 FXSTC..?
Or; what did it fit on originally?

I've done a bunch of searches and get conflicting results.

Thanks
Doug

Thanks, yeah that's what I'm finding..I'm not sure if they changed anything through the years, except jets. I'm gonna try to find a number on mine if I can and/or call a dealer..

Doug

Keihin 40mm CV carbs are essentially the same for all years. The earlier carbs have a drain screw for the float bowl, otherwise the only difference between PNs are the jet sizes. It may be blasphemy, but some Kawasakis use this carb also....

Parts list shows 27206-93 as the origional carb for your 94
early 93 bike was fitted with 27038-92
and 92 was the year that the jet sizes were reduced main went from a 185 to a 165 and slow jet went from a 45 to 42 so the one your looking at i suspect would have come with the 185 main and the 45 slow and should fit and work fine on your bike

I hope this helps

Brian

27038-90 will work on your 94...they make some minor changes over the years,but basically a CV40 is a CV40, altho it took em quite a while to put a brass fuel inlet on them. they changed the floats on them too the '90 carb has a float shaped kinda like a set of barbells, I can't remember when it changed to the "horse shoe" kinda shape.

Thanks alot, just the info I was looking for.

The guy who had my bike befor me did alot of tinkering, thunder slide, thunder jet and you can tell the carb has been apart numerous times. For the price of this new one I can start over and do it my way for a small amount of jingle..

Doug

Forget about the thunder jet/slide kit; the stock CV carb is good hardware and easy to tune. The adjustable needle in the Thunderslide kit is a neat feature but my limited experience with Thunderslide is that in equivalent states of tune, a Thunderslide modified carb will not deliver the fuel efficiency of a stock unit.

Yeah, that's exactly why i'm looking into it. If I removed the thunderjet I have a hole in the bowl to plug and worse, I have a large hole in the venturi. I should be able to tune a stock carb for this bike, especially with all the help here....!!!!

Doug

Back