free website stats program Questionable Sales Practices | Harley Davidson Forums

Questionable Sales Practices

RumbleRoads

Went to Rocket Harley here in bama this past Sunday. I wanted to check out the 08 Road King Classic and got to test ride one. I would not say it’s a better ride than my Heritage Softail Classic just different. I did really like how it rides and the vibration was not an issue for me, in fact I liked it. At 55 it was much smother than my Heritage and there was no vibration at all. I’m sure it will be my next bike when I find the right deal. A new Road King Classic is in my future someday but not sure if I’m ready to give up my Heritage yet.

Anyway, I wanted to see if they could make a deal I could live with if I bought it that day. The sale price was $20,995.00 but when we stepped in the door the sales guy then wanted $22,458.00 and that was not getting out the door price! MSRP is $18,305.00! He also wanted more for the access they had bolted on the bike with the price tag of $20,995.00 and nothing was posted on the bike saying the accessory on the bike cost extra. Is that right? When I got my last bike there the accessory they had on the bike were included in the price on the bike. No extra charge!

Also, the accessory was a Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak that the Harley web site had listed for $179.95 and this guy was trying to say it was a big deal for the service dept to take it off the bike and he wanted over 500 bucks for it extra in the price.
Top it off when I asked for the sale price of 20,995.00 then they only offered for my bike the NADA low retail value that is for a bike with cosmetic and mechanical defects. My bike is in showroom condition and has $3000.00 in accessories on it! I took the paper work home and thinking of writing up a letter out line why they lost this sale.

I was wondering what others on this forum think about this deal.

Oh don’t misunderstand me I love Harley-Davison and can’t ever see myself ever riding anything else. One or two bad sales guy or ever dealership does nothing to stop my love for Harleys. In circumstances like this it’s not the brand it’s the dealer. Hell, I’ll ride up north or out west to save three or four thousand. It’s just these sale guy need to understand when you quote one price out side them jack up it when you step in the door you just blow your sale and you customer will just go to a different dealer to buy his bike. Guess I should have asked that sale guy if the deal came with a can or Vaseline. :devil

Guess I should have asked that sale guy if the deal came with a can or Vaseline. :devil

Least he could have done is kissed ya afterwords:D

The dealers/salesmen don't realize that the public is more educated as to the prices/cost of things more than in the past. Local dealers here are giving $1500 off on an 07 bike now without even trying too hard and lets not forget that EVERYTHING is negotiable with the right dealer. Why not look at an 07 RKC, there's quite a few around yet and don't forget to get the IDS thrown in at their cost.

They doll these bikes up with extras which to them means extra $$$ in parts and labor too. Tell him you want a stock bike without the extras as you can do that yourself. Don't be easy on them and insist they give you exactly what you want, most times you'll get just what you want.

That trade in is about on par with most dealers. Usually they give you wholesale for a trade because they have expenses and need to make the $2-3 K on a used bike when they make $4K on a new one. Take off the extras and sell them, they will give you the same trade in with or without them. If the salesman disagrees here, go elsewhere with the parts removed and find out.

The dealers don't seem to realize or if they do they don't want to admit it that the bubble has burst and people will shop around now for best price instead of being gouged by them for a luxury item that really isn't needed.

There's a lot of dealers out there that are willing to deal with you. Don't be fooled by the salesman that they have the best price, shop it around and then go back and present it to this guy and watch his reaction. My friends all ask me to do the dirty work with them when it comes time to manipulate the salesman. God, do I love to twist them up into a knot and make them babbling idiots.

Best bet is to negotiate the best price first. After there is no more movement there, then start on the "gimmies" This is what they are going to give you included in the deal to sell you the bike. I find usually this is parts and labor between $400 and $700 added to the bike at their cost. A buddy took me to buy his 07 street glide in July and we did the shopping around and each time mentioned that someone else was including XXX at no extra cost. He ended up getting the bike for $1500 under MSRP and V&H slip ons ($499) and crash bar pegs with the mounts ($210) thrown in the deal to make it happen not to mention the first service for free. That's the cost of doing business and it comes out of their $4000 profit on the bigger bikes. You can go to cyclecost.com and find out for $19.95 what they pay (invoice) for the bikes.

Don't forget that prep is a negotiable area too and freight can be included if you have a big enough hammer:D.

It all depends on how many bikes they have sold that month just how negotiable they are. Again shop it around and get the best price, then the "gimmies" (give me's) You'll be glad you did.

Last edited:
Well said.. I will just be looking for a fair dealer out of state.

Rocket wanted for a Road King Classic

Bike $22,458.00

Title fee $395.00

Dealer prep $890.00 guess that's for a bike wash.

Pulse tax & title cost.
:53:

Well said.. I will just be looking for a fair dealer out of state.

Rocket wanted for a Road King Classic

Bike $22,458.00

Title fee $395.00

Dealer prep $890.00 guess that's for a bike wash.

Pulse tax & title cost.
:53:

My 07 RKC went for $18,323 back in January of 07.

Title fee is very heavy. Ask them what they do for that price, see what they tell you then laugh, there's a profit there for sure

Dealer prep is over the top! I always get them to remove it if they want to sell me anything. They are selling a NEW bike and making a $4 K profit on it, why should we as the customer have to pay to prep it? THAT SHOULD BE THEIR NICKEL.
Car dealers try it but it is not legal to do it.
Prep shouldn't be any more than around $300-$400 at the most If you have to pay it at all.

Last edited:
Im rather short on patience most times and would have walked out and not gone back....but thats just me. I cant stand BS.:49::49:

Wish I had access to this info. five months ago, when I bought mine. I had been looking for to long, I saw the one I wanted, handed over title to Shadow, signed some papers, and I rode it home. Never really talked about price, options, etc. It was "the one" and nothing else mattered. Next time I'll pay Glider to fly/ride to PNW and represent me during negotiations!!!!!:laugh

I'll tell you what, Glider, I can't see myself ridin any other bike anytime soon, but, if you ever make near this neck of the woods, I would definately buy the first round after I'm done showing you around!!

Back