free website stats program Question For Older Guys | Harley Davidson Forums

Question For Older Guys

RickyBobby

Well, today I was driving around and there was a garage sale. They had some interesting stuff and I decided to stop. I didn't find much of interest until I came upon an old motorcycle hat. Not a ballcap, but one with a white plastic covered visor and a peak. It also has a wheel with wings on it sewn on the front, similar to what I have seen pictures of Elvis wear. He had a black one, this one is green. One of those. I picked it up for a wallhanger, since it doesn't fit me and I have some stuff on the bike side of the garage for decoration and I though it would look neat.
So, my question is this, does the white strap that is mounted from two brass buttons on the side and will swing over the cap to the rear used for a chin strap to wear while riding, or did they just stick the hat into a saddlebag and wear it when not actually riding? It would seem that the visor would get wind under it and pull on that hard strap if used as a chin strap.
Thanks, I am just curious, but they looked cool and if folks wore them now, I would probably wear one too. :)

One like something like this?

motorcyclehat.jpg

David, that is exactly the style.

So, was the white strap swung under for a chin strap or did the rider just put them on when they were stopped?

In the movies Elvis wore it while riding,no chin strap:lolrolling

It's a chin strap, although it was almost never used. More of a traditional style that was built into the cap. Modeled after military/police headgear, but with more of a motorcycle flair to it.

Check out any covers issued to military officers during WWII, all had a strap above the bill that were able to be used as chinstraps. Again, they were very seldom, if ever used for that purpose, but were more of a carryover or traditional part of the overall headgear.

The side of m-m-m-y-y lip is a quiver'in..."--thank you ve-r-r-y-y much...!" :lolrolling

Motor patrol officers wore them at one time. I actually remember bike officers wearing them. Their bikes had windshields (at least during my time) and they wore them without the strap. Also Brando wore something similar i believe in his motorcycle movie. the wild ones.

Chic_mc_pic.jpg

Last edited:
When i was doing my training in the british army had to wear a similar style of hat with no2 dress (best uniform) mainly worn during parades
if it was at all windy we did wear the chin staps as it would have been difficult to get the right hat if 1500 had been blown down the parade square at the same time
so yes its a chin strap

Brian

Back