Question for Glider

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by dolt, May 13, 2009.

1. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Would you use this cam plate? I know it is difficult to evaluate from a photo but I am looking for a second opinion. A lifter retaining clip escaped and passed through the pump, most of it anyway; I did recover one leg of the three. Pump gerotors and housing are shot; no oil pressure. Before I throw the baby out with the bathwater I want a second opinion. The damage is not nearly as bad as it looks. The shiny surface on the right side from 12:00 to 6:00 is not gouged or scored but the anodized coating has been rubbed off. There is a small divit at 12:00 but the small groove between the two ports is intact. Disrgard the squigggly thing at 7:00, my Corgi is shedding.

I was about to toss the plate but was taking a closer look and, while not inclined to reuse the plate, I don't want to toss it if it is serviceable with a new pump. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I won't hold you to it, just want a second opinion based on the photo.

[​IMG]

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Dolt,

What is all that at the "11" o'clock position? Can that be worked out with a small jeweler's file and some fine sand paper (400 or 600 grit)? As is, I wouldn't use it.

TQ

3. jims87flh

jims87flh Banned

What's a new one cost? if it's not too expensive, why take a chance?
    If it is cost prohibitive, do you have, or have a friend who has a surface plate, .001 dial indicator, and a set of measureing points? I'd check to make sure sometime we cant see or feel with our fingers, a couple - few thousands of an inch, which may as well be a mile in some cases.

4. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Me i would pitch it

5. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

That is a light scratch in the anodizing and that doesn't give me cause for concern. The only spot I have second thoughts about are the 12:00 position.

The 25283-07 pump is not made any longer and I have searched several dealers that might still have one in inventory with no luck. So, my options are to run this plate sith a new pump, revert to stock plate and pump (which I have in hand), buy the 25284-08 hydro conversion kit and block off plates for the oil passages to the tensioners; $361 for the 25284-08 and $28 for the block off plates.

I would not bother with surface plate, etc. even though that might work.

Like I said, I was about to toss the plate but couldn't "feel" anything and started looking at it under a magnifier and saw that the "damage" was minimal but, like jims87 says, a .001" the wrong way could be a mile in certain applications.

If it wasn't for the fact that the engine is a 107" performance build, I would probably go back to stock. The stock plate is good but I really like the new oil pump for this application.

Thanks for taking the time to look and respond.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

I'd pitch it too. Not worth taking a chance IMO for what the new one would cost.