free website stats program Question about Mini Tach Kit with Shift Light | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about Mini Tach Kit with Shift Light

Good Day Everyone,

I purchased the following item from my local dealer, 2-5/8" Mini Tach Kit with Shift Light (p/n 69829-06) and was wondering if you can adjust when the shift light comes on?

I have noticed that the shift light activates at 5,000K, would like the light to come on at 4K. Is this possible? If so, can I make the adjustment or is it a dealer modification.

Have a great weekend and a safe ride.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't be adjustable. You still in? I've been happily retired since 2000!:small3d006:

Hey Mike,it says in the accessory Bible and i quote"Now available with an attention-grabbing rider-selectable shift light,these...." yada yada..This is in reference to p/n69829-06

I took that to mean one could select at which RPMs the light would activate.Unless it means you can turn it off and on?Think your 4000 rpm limit is a good idea.:small3d018:

Hey Mike,it says in the accessory Bible and i quote"Now available with an attention-grabbing rider-selectable shift light,these...." yada yada..This is in reference to p/n69829-06

I took that to mean one could select at which RPMs the light would activate.Unless it means you can turn it off and on?Think your 4000 rpm limit is a good idea.:small3d018:

Biscuit,

You are right, the accessory bible does state that the tach is adjustable, now I just need to find a copy of the installation instructions...the dealer did not give them to me.

Does anyone have a copy of these instructions (Part Number # 69829-06) or know where I can get them online?

Does anyone have a copy of these instructions (Part Number # 69829-06) or know where I can get them online?

Don't know if you've gotten your answer yet. Happen to have a copy in front of me. It says:
"Locate the black rubber blunger on the back of the gauge. The plunger is a programming tool that also acts as a hole plug when not in use. Gently pull the plunger from the back of the gauge. Rotate the plunger, and insert the long end back into the hole to act as a tool to reach the programming button on the circuit board inside the mini-tach. Turn the ignition switch to ON to power the mini-tach, but do not start the motorcycle. Using the plunger tool, press the button on the circuit board and hold until the shift light on the gauge face flashes one time, and the tachometer needle moves to the current set point. Use individual clicks on the circuit bard button to advance the needle upward by fine adjustments to the desired shift point. If the desired shift point is exceeded by use of the clicks, press and hold the button to cause the needle to move to full scale, then swing to 0 and continue to advance until the button is released. Release the button at the desired shift point, and allow the programming sequence to time out (3 sec)." Whew... Hope that helps.

Don't know if you've gotten your answer yet. Happen to have a copy in front of me. It says:
"Locate the black rubber blunger on the back of the gauge. The plunger is a programming tool that also acts as a hole plug when not in use. Gently pull the plunger from the back of the gauge. Rotate the plunger, and insert the long end back into the hole to act as a tool to reach the programming button on the circuit board inside the mini-tach. Turn the ignition switch to ON to power the mini-tach, but do not start the motorcycle. Using the plunger tool, press the button on the circuit board and hold until the shift light on the gauge face flashes one time, and the tachometer needle moves to the current set point. Use individual clicks on the circuit bard button to advance the needle upward by fine adjustments to the desired shift point. If the desired shift point is exceeded by use of the clicks, press and hold the button to cause the needle to move to full scale, then swing to 0 and continue to advance until the button is released. Release the button at the desired shift point, and allow the programming sequence to time out (3 sec)." Whew... Hope that helps.

Nice to see someone who keeps the instructions for his stuff, I can't tell you how many of us toss them once the installation is complete...or get tossed by our significant other.:bigsmiley31:

Still, my file cabinets would need to be 10x in size, and probably the house so maybe it is a good thing. Just think of all those "bolt-on" accessories on your bike...storing all the old parts...knowing less than 1% of the HD owners out there leave their bike totally stock! :hii

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to response to my request and typing the instructions. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

I had ordered a 69427-04 tach off ebay for my '04 Custom but the guy sent a 69829-06 tach like you have. While researching what tach I got in the mail, I ran across your post, and so I just happened to have the instructions. Those instructions (and tach) are now on their way back to the ebay seller... hopefully my money will be on it's way back to me soon.

Back