free website stats program Question about belt tension | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about belt tension

Redman

good day all....I purchased a 09 flhx last fall and following procedure figured I would have the Dealer do 1,000 mile service. of coarse after reading many posts went and changed out the syn 3 and applied the good stuff to all three holes. In any event I have had this rubbing noise..at first I thought it was a brake pad but upon further inspection no luck there. It got really bad...left side and so I took it to dealer (with1800 miles on it) and the service dude immediately goes to check the tension on my belt. After looking astonished he said "your belt is way to tight who did your 1,000 mile" to which I replied "you guys did. "My question is after riding 800 miles with this belt so tight is it possible that has or will create other problems down the line. This does not in any way give me confidence in my dealership. Thanks for your help.:cheers

If a belt is too tight and ridden significantly in the overtightened condition, there's a possibility that it will have a shortened life because remember that when the suspension compresses, the tension is different on the belt too. The overtightened condition that is found with the bike standing still becomes more of a problem with passenger (s) on the bike when the suspension compresses even more.

The short distance you rode it over tightened shouldn't have a significant bearing on the belt life IMO.

Hals...I only live 1 mile from them. I was warned about there service by others but was willing to give them a fair shake. I am open to suggestions as far as good dealers to get work done. I do all the fluids but feel obliged to go back there because of my warranty...at least for now.:wall

Hals...I only live 1 mile from them. I was warned about there service by others but was willing to give them a fair shake. I am open to suggestions as far as good dealers to get work done. I do all the fluids but feel obliged to go back there because of my warranty...at least for now.:wall

Hals, HA!
The first (and last) time I used them was for a 20k check and I walked out 1100 bones poorer.

Plus, I had the added pleasure of having to torque bolts they touched back to spec, A tech slammed my gas cover lid shut with the lock in the wrong position jamming it (I had to use a house key at the pump to work the mechanism around so the regular key would work.), and I found a screwdriver in between the inner and outer fairing.

Hal's is the reason I decided to do my own wrenching whenever possible. I've been told by several if you have a prob, stay away from the Milwaukee dealers and get it to Racine HD - smaller dealer with more experienced techs and they aren't as behind the eight ball to meet service quotas.

Last edited:
I don't think I would worry much about the belt but you could have worn some bearings a bit judging from the noise you said you were hearing.

Butch ...thanks for the heads up...do you go to ukes in Racine or...I should have known better.:bigsmiley30:

When it comes time for me to take the bike to a dealership I go to West Bend. I believe that they have a fair price and enjoy the people.

As a reminder - doing your own services in no way affects your warranty status. Keep a good maintenance log and all your receipts. Amazing how many dealers still have intimidated folks into believing this is not true!

Back