free website stats program question about ape hanger bars | Harley Davidson Forums

question about ape hanger bars

OUTLAW-13

I have an 06 ultra, and I'm thinking about 11" apes. Is there a formula on how to determine what length throttle, idle, and clutch cables I should get? Thanks in advance.

Flanders handlebar website has a rough formula...... "When buying new bars, a rough formula to follow is to measure the increased heigth + 1/2 the increased pullback that the new bars will give you. This amount will be very close to how much additional cable and brake line that you may need. However, the best method is to fit the new bars to the motorcycle and then make the increased length determinations, if needed at all"

The only sure way is to mock up the new bars and measure.

I went +8 with my PYO Monkey Bars (12") for the clutch cable and upper brake line. I think +6 would have been OK but I didn't want to take a chance.
flhx124584.jpg

I just went with Wild1 Chubby WO577's on my 08 SG and love them. They are 12.5' and I went with a 6" cable and had pleanty. You can check with some of the places you are looking at to buy the bars and they will usually sell the wire extension kits along with advice on cable lengths. I did not need to change the TBW cable as it's pleanty long enough for these mini's.

Ghostrider are you still using the stock fairing mirrors and can u see out them or did you change those out?

Ghostrider are you still using the stock fairing mirrors and can u see out them or did you change those out?

I went with bar mirrors when I changed out my inner for a painted one. I thought the inner mounted mirrors were more restrictive to my viewing area. With the change again to higher/closer bars I find the viewing area to be even better, probably because the mirrors are also closer to my eyes so I get more viewing area in the mirror. Two good decisions as I now have a ride that I sit straight and better vision with the mirrors being higher and closer. Bars also make it easier to turn, again probably because they are closer to me which gives me more arm range.

Back