free website stats program Pulling a trailer | Harley Davidson Forums

Pulling a trailer

Does anyone pull a trailer with their bike? I got one to pull to sturgis this year and was wondering what to expect. How much does it effect mileage, what do cross winds do, cornering tips etc.
I plan to ride alot with the trailer before then, just wondering what the experienced trailer guys have for tips.
Thanks in advance

I've pulled trailers for a lot of years (both cargo and camper). After the first day on the road you'll have to keep reminding yourself that the trailer is back there. Unless your trailer is really heavy, you won't notice much of a difference in how your bike handles except at parking lot speeds and if you have to brake hard. Like others have already said, you will take longer to stop so give yourself a bit of extra room. Also, don't forget the trailer is there and pull in too close to gas pumps! All in all, your trailering experience should be pretty uneventful.

These are great answers - Thanks - What kind of trailers are you pulling. I did some looking around and different sites spoke about flat fronted trailers and wind drag etc... I was surprised to see only a small drop in gas mpg. i know when I twist the throttle hard going through the mountains I can drop to about 32 mpg. I did put air cleaner kit, vance and hines and a power commander on, - it dropped gas mileage, but greatly improved power and sound. The big drop in gas mpg has scared me into wondering if a trailer would need to be fitted with an auxilary fuel tank. Doesn't sound too bad though. Thanks again - GB

this is the trailer I am buying. I dont plan to haul anymore than clothes and maybe a bag lawnchair. I plan on using a mchitch trailer hitch.
thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 39
I have a Leesure Lite tent trailer. The empty weight is 250 pounds. Sure beats setting up a tent every night. And Garbagebarge, I see you're in Colorado, just so you know...I've pulled a camper trailer behind my bike over the Million Dollar Highway between Durango and Ouray a few times with nary a problem.

Subby- Thats a fun road huh? I love Red Mountain. Holler if you want to try some other awesome roads in that area. It is close to home. -- Thanks all. Been to this site? It has every known trailer maufacturer known to humankind- MOTORCYCLE TRAILER INDEX I was looking at "The American Legend". Might have to wait a while as wife would kill me me for spending the $.:D- GB

Back