free website stats program Protective film | Harley Davidson Forums

Protective film

I have a 2007 Softail Deuce. The center console down the top of the tank is made of a brushed aluminum. However the previous owner (who rarely even used the bike) didn't take the protective film off. Now I would really love to get the film off but I can't seem to manage....

Any help is much appreciated!

Never had this issue before but I'm wondering if a heat gun might soften the film and glue enough to get it off?

Maybe check with the dealership and see what they use. Ditto on the heat gun as well that might work.

WD-40 or Bug & Tar remover works great for removing the gluey residue if you can get the film off first.

Both good suggestions about the heat gun but I would shy away from that and use a blow drier. It's very easy to do damage with a heat gun because of the excessive heat. Any residue can be removed with GOO Gone or mineral spirits.
I bet that's 1 thing you don't own Bill. (blow drier):newsmile100:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to give it a try this weekend.

Someone also recommended hand sanitizer, I'm guessing the alcohol in it.

I'll let you know if anything works

If it were me doing this i would take the centre console off the bike and heat with a heat gun on the back side of the console and that would soften the glue sticking to the console rather than the glue sticking to the film you should get a much cleaner removal of the film
Doing it this way will also prevent any damage to paintwork by the heat gun as heat gun at full temp will damage the paint

Brian

I second the hair dryer.... Heat gun will be way to hot and you will end up with more problems then just removing film...:s

Back